The new style Clubhouse and site

If you are visiting us for the first time, please take a few minutes to read through the articles here. If you wish to post a question, make sure you read the "Guide to posting". This exists as a topic in this forum.

The new style Clubhouse and site

Post by Phil White » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:15 am

Welcome one and all to the fresh, redesigned Wordwizard site!

Don't forget to visit the main site as well, where a blog will be slowly emerging under the heading "Musings". If any of the regulars wish to contribute to the blog, just send me a PM and I will tell you how to do it.

Otherwise, if you have any problems with the site, mention them here and I will see what I can do.

If you cannot log in, use one of the contact forms to send me a message.

You will notice that I have enabled avatars and smilies in this incarnation of the board. Do think about using an avatar to brighten the place up!

You can also use Emojis if you must:

🙈 🙉 🙊

Look on the Web to find out how to type Emojis on the system you are using.

Important!!
Now that the new site is up, you may have to clear all cookies from wordwizard.com and refresh your browser a few times before everything looks correct and before you stay logged in properly. If you have any problems, use the contact form to contact me. Always assuming that the contact form works, of course...

Enjoy!
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Re: The new style Clubhouse and site

Post by Forum Admin » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:01 pm

Well! If you can read this, you have made it to the new host!
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:44 pm

I haven't had much of a play yet, but from what I have seen so far it looks very comfortable.
Well done Phil. I am proud to know you.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Phil White » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:49 pm

As I said, most of the Clubhouse is still very familiar, just spruced up a little and brought up to date. Most of the work was on the rest of the site pages, which are still rather thin.
Post actions:
Non sum felix lepus

Post by tony h » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:39 pm

Just to say I have found the new site. Well done.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Phil White » Sun Aug 06, 2017 2:52 am

One of the new features on the board is "Notifications". It is extremely useful, but has a rather tiresome tic.

I would have expected a notification to disappear from the list when you go to the post concerned. It doesn't. The way the board is set up by default, it will not disappear for 30 days. I have taken this down to 4 days. Any notifications you have not read will not be deleted.

I cannot set the board to delete the notifications immediately, but I could set it to 1 day. A value of 0 would never delete them.

Let me know whether you want to have a higher or lower value than 4 days.
Post actions:
Non sum felix lepus

Post by tony h » Sun Aug 06, 2017 6:49 pm

Phil I would say leave it as it is and have a review in a month or so.
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:56 pm

I was finding it impossible to sign in to the Clubhouse on my smartphone, even after using the Clubhouse's command to delete all the site cookies and also switching off and on the option to save cookies in my Opera Mini browser.

However, I found an effective workaround for the problem, which was to visit the site in a so-called 'private window' of the browser (equivalents in other common browsers being Incognito Window [Chrome], Private Window [Firefox] and InPrivate Browsing [Windows Explorer]).

Sessions begun in this mode start without any cookies, and when the private browser session terminates (i.e. once all the tabs in the private window session are closed), all the cookies set during that session are automatically cleared. Nevertheless, if you have allowed your browser to remember your login details, with any luck you won't need to manually retype them the next time you visit the site, even in private window mode. You'll also still be able to load the site with a single click if you've bookmarked it.
Post actions:

Post by Phil White » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:15 pm

The "Remember me" setting is stored in a cookie, so if the browser clears the cookies, it should certainly not remember you next time.

Other than that, I had to make a change to the cookie settings after the site was up and running, so there may be a residual issue there. You should manually delete all cookies from Wordwizard from your browser once. There are plenty of descriptions of how to do this for your browser on the Web. Just delete all cookies from "wordwizard", shut down your browser and start it again. Go to Wordwizard and log in (with "Remember me" if you want). You will have to confirm the cookie information again, but thereafter all should be well.

The "Delete all board cookies" option in the Clubhouse (bottom of the page) will not necessarily be enough, as there are also a couple of WordPress cookies there, and the phpBB and WordPress logins are synchronized. I think everything is set properly now.

But the problem Erik describes appears to affect administrators in particular, as we have to log in separately when we do anything like dealing with spammers. Regular users should be fine.
Post actions:
Non sum felix lepus

Post by tony h » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:22 pm

Can we change our profile images? There is a link to Gravatar but I am not sure what to do on there.
Post actions:

Post by Phil White » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:05 pm

If you want the same avatar on the discussion board and on the WP blog, you need to set a profile image in phpBB.

Do this by going to the User Control Panel (click your login name at the top right of the screen), choosing the Profile tab and then choosing Edit avatar on the left.

There are two ways of setting an avatar. From the Avatar type box, you can choose "Upload avatar" or Gravatar.
  • Upload avatar
    The image you upload from your computer can be a JPG, PNG or GIF file. It must not be larger than 80 x 80 pixels and the file size must not be greater than 10,000 bytes. JPG or GIF tend to be smaller than PNG, but PNG allows transparency (as does GIF). Upload the file and the avatar should then show on this board and on WP.
  • Gravatar
    Gravatar provides a way of having the same avatar on all the WordPress sites and some of the discussion boards you are signed up to. It is tied to your email account. It is a free service run by WordPress.com, the commercial arm of WordPress. You first have to register an account with WordPress and then upload the avatar to the Gravatar site. Your avatar will then appear on all sites that support avatars and where you are registered with the same email address. I have never used the service, so I don't know whether Wordpress pester you with unwanted email. I doubt it, though. If you have a Gravatar linked to the email address you use for this board, you can choose Gravatar in the avatar settings in the User Control Panel, and your avatar will appear here and on the WordPress part of the site.
Setting an avatar in your WordPress profile for Wordwizard should have no effect. I have overridden the WordPress settings by the settings made on this board.
Post actions:
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Shelley » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:24 pm

Oooh, pretty! :wink:
Post actions:

Post by Phil White » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:40 pm

Shelley!

What an age since we saw you! The redesign was worth all the effort just to see you again!
Post actions:
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Wizard of Oz » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:13 am

Phil would you please turn the new Clubhouse up the right way as I cannot stand on my head all the time. We Southlanders often need this consideration. Looks good, even upside down.

WoZ with a pillow for his headstand.

PS Going to find an avatar
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Wizard of Oz » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:28 pm

Phil how do I change my avatar to one i have saved. I have resized it down to 8KB and 47x30 pixels but it won't load. HELP!!

WoZ in a tizz
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."