Chooglin"

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Chooglin"

Post by Diana Walk » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:10 pm

What does this word mean, and who came up with the expression?
It's in a song, but to read, could have a couple of different meanings. There is a song called Keep On Chooglin' by Creedance Clearwater, and there is a band called Chooglin'.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Diana L. Walk

Chooglin"

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:18 pm

As always with this kind of question, context matters greatly. What is the song, what are the lyrics, who sings it etc.?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Chooglin"

Post by russcable » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:24 pm

Perhaps Creedence Clearwater Revival?
Maybe you dont understand it.
But if you're a natural man,
You got to ball and have a good time
And that's what I call chooglin'.

My guess is in this case John Fogerty made it up and defined it in the song.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Chooglin"

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:32 am

Diana, I see you have edited your question so that it includes the reference to the Creedence Clearwater Revival song, so I assume that Russ's guess was correct.

As Russ says, the lyrics of the CCR song explain what is meant by the term in that context, and you haven't told us why you think there might be another meaning. What other possibility did you have in mind?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Chooglin"

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:59 am

Music Vol 26, Iss 1303.
The word "Chooglin'" sounds like an onomatopoeia for beer guzzling or trains chugging. It's actually a Creedence Clearwater Revival term for partying and fornicating, as laid out in the classic, "Keep on Chooglin'"--"You got to ball and have a good time/And that's what I call chooglin'."
.. so it seems the jury is back on what the word means in that context .. but wait .. what about this ..
Beale On Broadway - St. Louis, Missouri - National Acts at the Beale.
This talented Rockabilly Revival/Country Rock outfit is almost as bad-ass as the black-clad man for whom they're named. With pure Americana heart and soul, the Bastard Sons of Johnny Cash unleash their heavy, toe-tapping shuffle rhythms, adroit and stylish steel picking, and tone-showcasing guitar work that approximates a train chooglin' down the track full steam ahead. The soulful singer belts it out like he's been in prison for twenty years and busted out to taste his first bite of fried chicken in two decades.

The latest album Cannery Hours opens up even more and seems to leave the couch-slouching for a 70's van chooglin' down open desert roads.
.. obviously a different meaning all together that has to do with describing how something moves ..

.. and then I found some uses of the word that seem to suggest a style of playing ..
Rolling Stone, 2004
But as much fun as Young and the band have with the image (as well as the tune's chooglin' three-chord groove), they don't overlook the era's most enduring strength: its music.

Acapulco Roughs is so pure, so honest, that it risks a headlong dive into cheeseville. Kushner repeatedly urges his side men to 'play how you think Mark Knopfler would play!' and rallies his players with calls for 'More Fozzie Bear!' when the group loses focus. The risks are obvious, but the payoff is ever greater chooglin'.

Today, the Guess Who still exist, and although their lineup is constantly changing, they still continue to play mountain chooglin', riff-laden rock 'n' roll.

These closely related indie imprints from Bloomington, Indiana, had a pair of breakout artists in 2005: chooglin’ rockers Black Mountain, who opened for Coldplay.

Barnes & Noble .com
The Man is THE DEFINITION of the genre, and he has again graced us with chooglin boogie music and country-rock blues ballads slathered with harmonica and B-3 Organ.
.. so it does seem that there at least 3 meanings for the mystery word chooglin' .. but the big question remains .. did the word originate in the mind of one of the Creedence boys or was it floating around before that and they can only claim the credit for making it a popular word with a wider audience .. it has a back country sound to it .. hmmmm wonder where Ken is at the moment ??? ..

WoZ of Aus 26/10/06
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Chooglin"

Post by Ken Greenwald » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:21 am

Diana, Russ, and Erik, After doing some searching around, I have a bit to add.

In the slang dictionaries, CHOOGLE is defined to mean: To go, to drive, to progress, to continue, to persist, to keep on the move, keep on moving. It was dated from the 1960s and was thought to derive from the train noises choo-choo + chug. However, it is clear to me that the word means more than this, although the additional meanings seem to me to be extensions of this definition rather than entirely new meanings.

After doing my search, I am in agreement that the word was probably coined by John Fogarty of Creedence Clearwater Revival and am of the opinion that some very respectable dictionaries, (e.g. Cassell’s Dictionary of Slang and the Historical Dictionary of American Slang (HDAS)) blew it as far as not naming Fogerty as a source and not providing a complete set of quotes and definitions for the word. It is remotely possible that Fogerty picked it up from someplace else, but I could find no previous record of its existence, and kinda doubt it.

It is also interesting that HDAS messed up on missing the earlier song lyrics since they were a well-funded and highly respected team of Random House researchers and this Creedence Clearwater Revival album wasn’t exactly obscure – it was a smash hit! Incidentally, the HDAS project was dropped by Random House, who only produced two volumes getting through the letter ‘O,’ and it has since been taken over by Oxford University Press (see http://www.neh.gov/news/humanities/2004-03/slang.html).

The earliest quote in HDAS is from 1970. However, Fogerty clearly defined what two of the meanings of the word were in two of his songs on the album ‘Bayou Country,’ which was released in February of 1969. In the song ‘Born on the Bayou’ Fogerty provided his first definition, which the above dictionaries are (more or less) in agreement with (see first 1969 quote below). The second definition comes from the song ‘Keep on Choogling’ where it clearly is defined as ‘having a good time’ (see second 1969 quote below).

CHOOGLE has also taken on some additional meanings over the years. For example, I came across the three expressions ‘choogling band,’ ‘choogling blues,’ and ‘choogling guitar’ which I’m guessing refer to a type of steady hard-driving, relentless rhythm – which is just an extension of Fogerty’s and the dictionary’s “keep on movin’” (train-like) definition. And I also think that it’s possible that even Fogerty’s ‘having a good time’ meaning (e.g. “He’s gonna choogle tonight’) might have originally been referring to a really hard-driving, good time, as opposed to a relaxed and mellow one – but that’s just a guess.
<1969 “Wishing I were a fast freight train, / Just CHOOGLING on down to New Orleans.”—‘Born on the Bayou’ from album ‘Bayou Country,’ released by Creedence Clearwater Revival in February>

<1969 Keep on CHOOGLING / Keep on CHOOGLING / Keep on CHOOGLING / CHOOGLING, / CHOOGLING. // Maybe you don't understand it. / But if you're a natural man, / You got to ball and have a good time / And that's what I call CHOOGLING. // Here comes Mary looking for Harry, // She gonna CHOOGLE tonight. / Here comes Louie, works in the sewer, / He gonna CHOOGLE tonight. // If you can choose it, who can refuse it, / You all be CHOOGLING tonight. / Go on, take your pick, right from the git go, / You gotta CHOOGLE tonight.”—‘Keep on CHOOGLING ’ from album ‘Bayou Country,’ released by Creedence Clearwater Revival in February>

<1970 “CHOOGLE verb . . . Progress; continue what has been started . . .choogle on or choogle down the highway.”—‘The Underground Dictionary’ by Landy, page 50>

<1977 “The session CHOOGLED on a mite to long.”—‘New West,’ 24 October, page 89>

<1984-87 “You CHOOGLE around town in this short?”—‘Firefight’ by Ferrandino, page 119>

<circa 2006 “Boogie Rock is an offshoot of the heavy blues rock of the late '60s. Instead of emphasizing instrumental improvisation like the original blues-rock bands (Cream, Jimi Hendrix, the Yardbirds, Led Zeppelin), boogie rockers concentrated on the groove, working a steady, CHOOGLING backbeat.”— ww.mp3.com/boogie-rock/genre/364/subgenre.html>
Ken G – October 25, 2006
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Chooglin"

Post by Ken Greenwald » Thu Oct 26, 2006 5:29 am

Wiz, Here I am. And great minds think alike. Nice work!

Ken - October 25, 2006
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Chooglin"

Post by Diana Walk » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:45 pm

Thank you all for the fine research. I believe my question has been answered as complely as possible. I appreciate your answers and the time to took to help me
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Diana L. Walk

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC