which

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

which

Post by navi » Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:42 am

Are these sentences correct:

1) He was behaving very strangely, from which I concluded that he had taken drugs.

2) She suddenly became calm, for which I could find no explanation.

Gratefully,
Navi
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: which

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:04 pm

Yes.

What made you wonder about their correctness?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by navi » Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:27 pm

Thank you very much, Eric,

I don't know. Sometimes, for some reason a correct sentence sounds odd to me. In this case, '2' sounded odd. I thought that it should be correct, but it sounded strange. Hence, the question. Funnily enough, '1' didn't sound strange, and they have basically the same structure.

Respectfully,
Navi
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:00 am

navi wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:27 pm Thank you very much, Erik,

I don't know. Sometimes, for some reason a correct sentence sounds odd to me. In this case, '2' sounded odd. I thought that it should be correct, but it sounded strange. Hence, the question. Funnily enough, '1' didn't sound strange, and they have basically the same structure.

Respectfully,
Navi
The "from which" in 1) gives you no choice regarding the word order:

1) He was behaving very strangely, from which I concluded that he had taken drugs.

*1a) He was behaving very strangely, which I concluded that he had taken drugs from.

With 2), on the other hand, "for which" gives you the option of placing the "for" at the end of the sentence, which also happens to correspond to the more idiomatic, less formal word order. So I think that's the reason for the difference in feel.

2a) She suddenly became calm, for which I could find no explanation for.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by navi » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:21 am

Thank you very much, Eric,

You are right! I hadn't thought of that, but the other version doesn't seem strange to me. I think that's the one I'd use.

Brilliant analysis!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC