different chaos

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

different chaos

Post by navi » Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:03 am

Is this correct:

1) Look at all the different chaos your daily life is made up of. There's the chaos at work, the chaos of your relationship with your kids and then there's the chaos of the news.

My problem is that 'chaos' is a mass noun, and I am not sure that one could use 'different chaos' instead of 'different types of chaos', however, I think it works because we do say 'different food'.

Gratefully,
Navi
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: different chaos

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:06 pm

Food is not always treated as a mass noun, which is why it is possible to speak of "different foods".

When differentiating chaos, you have to specify it with {types / kinds / sorts} of chaos.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: different chaos

Post by Phil White » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:29 am

As Erik says, "food" can be countable in some circumstances. "Chaos" can never be countable (just ask Mandelbrot).

We can say things like "rice is staple food for many people" (countable with the the indefinite article).

Although the boundary between countable and non-countable is extremely fuzzy (and "food" is borderline - it is non-countable most of the time), "chaos" really is not a word that I would expect to be treated as a countable noun under normal circumstances. Your proposed sentence does not work for me.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC