Reply and Response

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Reply and Response

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:12 am

1. I apologize for my belated response.
2. I am sorry that it has taken ages for me to reply.

Hi guys! My friend sends me an email but I forget and I email him back 5 days later. Are the sentences above used correctly in this context? Which sentence sounds more sincere?

Your answers will be highly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Reply and Response

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:11 pm

They are both fine, in my view. They both sound as sincere as any excuse ever does. The difference is in their degree of formality; the first is more formal, the second less so ("ages" is more conversational).
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:58 am

Erik : I am sorry for the late reply. Thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:04 am

You're welcome.

It's nice to be thanked, but I would only consider that someone who asked a question without offering any acknowledgment of the answer was being impolite if it was obvious that I had invested a great deal of time and effort in my response. Which was not the case here.

I suspect my general outlook in this regard is shared by most of those who have spent time answering questions on forums like this one. We don't do it for the thanks, but because we enjoy it. It's nice to be told our efforts are appreciated, but we don't automatically expect to be thanked. :)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:11 pm

Erik_Kowal wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:04 am I suspect my general outlook in this regard is shared by most of those who have spent time answering questions on forums like this one. We don't do it for the thanks, but because we enjoy it.
Speak for yourself. I do it for the fame and glory.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:19 am

Phil White wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:11 pmSpeak for yourself. I do it for the fame and glory.
Let me know when it starts working. :lol:
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:12 pm

Erik : Thanks again for your answer. Phil White : Thanks for your input. You two have a good day.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC