Thanks a bunch

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Thanks a bunch

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:18 am

Hi everyone! According to an online dictionary "Thanks a bunch" is used for thanking someone, often as a joke. Does it mean it's a lot safer or more sincere to use "Thank you very much", "Thank you so much", "Thanks a lot" or "Thanks a million"?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Thanks a bunch

Post by trolley » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:31 am

I never thought of "thanks a bunch" being used as a joke (anymore than any of those can be said sarcastically). It may be a little less formal than "thank you so much" or "thank you very much" but it is on par with "thanks a lot" or "thanks a million". "Thanks" is always less formal than "thank you". Oddly, you might hear "thanks so much" or "thanks very much" but you're unlikely to hear "Thank you a bunch" or "thank you a million".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:46 pm

Individual usage varies.

In my immediate circle, "Thanks a bunch!" is always a sarcastic comeback in response to an inconsiderate, thoughtless or otherwise unwelcome action or utterance. I'm not sure that I've ever used it to express genuine thanks for something.

Oh dear... What a bunch of curmudgeons and ingrates we must seem. ;)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:47 pm

Now I'm thinking about how many times that's flown right over my head. This changes everything! Thanks a bunch, Erik.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:25 pm

trolley and Erik : Thank you both so much for your answers. Have a nice day.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:52 pm

"Thank you both so much for your answers"

We need some sort of "sarcasm font". Now, I'm suspicious of everyone. :)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:45 pm

trolley wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:52 pm "Thank you both so much for your answers"

We need some sort of "sarcasm font". Now, I'm suspicious of everyone. :)
Hi trolley! I don't understand what you mean. What do you imply?

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:13 pm

Steve, it was a joke...or at least, an attempt at one. I was referring to my life-long misinterpretation of the phrase "thanks a bunch" and hinting that now I have to reconsider what people really mean every time they thank me. You've made over 2800 posts here and I'd wager that about 50% of those were you thanking people for their help. I'm sure 100% of those posts were true gratitude. I wasn't really questioning your sincerity.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:15 am

trolley : Thanks for the clarification. Whenever I thank someone on this forum, it is from the bottom of my heart. Have a good day.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:24 am

Erik_Kowal wrote: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:46 pmIn my immediate circle, "Thanks a bunch!" is always a sarcastic comeback in response to an inconsiderate, thoughtless or otherwise unwelcome action or utterance. I'm not sure that I've ever used it to express genuine thanks for something.
Though I suppose if someone presented me with a bouquet of flowers, I would probably respond "Thanks! A bunch!"
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:07 pm

I'm a little late to the party on this one.

While I agree with Erik that "thanks a bunch" is almost invariably a sarcastic response, I have heard it used genuinely as well. There is a similar phrase, "thanks a bundle", that is, to my knowledge, only ever sarcastic.

trolley: You have wandered into a sarchasm, i.e. the gulf that separates those who understand irony and those who don't.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:52 am

Phil White : Thanks a lot for your answer. It helps a lot.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC