as was ordered

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

as was ordered

Post by azz » Thu May 21, 2020 1:21 am

a. I don't have a big blue box, as was ordered. But I have a big red one.
b. I don't have a big blue box, as ordered. But I have a big red one.

Are the above sentences grammatically correct and comprehensible?

A big blue box was ordered. I don't have one. But I have a big red box.

--------------------------------------------------------------

c. I don't have a box as ordered. I have other kinds of boxes.
d. I don't have a box as was ordered. I have other kinds of boxes.

Is the above sentence grammatically correct and comprehensible?

I don't have a box with the specifications in the order, but I have other kinds of boxes.

Many thanks
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: as was ordered

Post by Bobinwales » Thu May 21, 2020 10:05 pm

Well, yes, but a native speaker would not say that.
I would be more inclined to:
"I don't have the big blue box that I ordered, but I do have a big red one".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by trolley » Fri May 22, 2020 1:02 am

This native listener was left wondering who had ordered the box. Was Azz the vendor and someone had ordered a blue box from him but he only had a red one to offer? Had Azz tried to order a blue box from someone but received a red one instead?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by azz » Fri May 22, 2020 11:15 am

Thank you both so much.

Azz happens to be a 'she', but apparently she asks questions like a man! Everybody makes that mistake Trolley and I don't mind. No worries.

Trolley, your reply is great. I hadn't thought of that possibility at all!

Many thanks.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Fri May 22, 2020 6:50 pm

My apologies, Azz. I don't even know why I made that assumption. Many years ago, when I first started coming to the clubhouse, I subconsciously created an image of the various members. This was based on their names and some other clues that I must've picked up along they way...where they were from, their (apparent) age, how they responded, etc. I have since seen a few photos of a few of them, none of whom looked anything like my mental image. I have no doubt that the others, Ken, Steve, Erik, Phil bear no resemblance to the picture I assigned them. I know what Bob and WoZ look like, and I will make a note that you are female but I'm afraid I just can't change anyone's picture, at this stage of the game :)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by azz » Fri May 22, 2020 10:10 pm

Absolutely no need for apologies. I do the exact same thing you do and the same thing has happened to me. Once someone thought my husband was a woman. He found the whole thing very amusing. He claims that he's been trying to write like a woman for years, because women are better at describing things and paying attention to details etc.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC