Small hinges swing big doors

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Re: Small hinges swing big doors

Post by PauladePlume » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:22 pm

Awesome work, Tony and Trolley! You knew how to find the facts behind my intuitive hunch. 👊

Sorry it's taking me a year to come back to this. I don't get notices, I guess, when replies are posted?

I came back because I have a new one for you superslueths, but I'll post in a new thread. 😉

I always have a hard time finding this site. I bookmark it, but then I switch phones and don't seem to keep the bookmark. Doesn't come up very high in Google search results (FYI), but you guys have one of the best sites for phrases I've ever seen! 💜
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:21 pm

PauladePlume wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:22 pm
You guys have one of the best sites for phrases I've ever seen! 💜
Compliments are always welcome.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Phil White » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:30 pm

To be notified of replies, check the box "Notify me when a reply is posted" below the Submit button. This setting is then remembered for all future posts.

Yes. It seems that the concept was around in the mid-19th century. I found a couple:

"On such little hinges of law do the great gates hang..." ("The Trial of Theodore Parker for the "Misdemeanor" of a Speech in Faneuil Hall Against Kidnapping Before the Circuit Court of the United States at Boston, April 3, 1855 With the Defence", Theodore Parker, 1864)

"Love swings on little hinges" ("Bob Bells", J. Dicks, 1870)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC