Having Drinking

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Having Drinking

Post by Stevenloan » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:56 pm

A: Where is she?
B: She's having coffee at Starbucks over there. / She's drinking coffee at Starbucks over there.

- Hi guys! Between the first answer and the second answer, which one sounds more suitable in this situation?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Having Drinking

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:32 pm

To my ear, they're equally normal and acceptable.

The 'drinking' formulation would be preferable if you wanted to be specific about what she had intended to do. If she's 'having coffee', she might actually have ordered a cup of tea. That said, this is a trivial distinction. :)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:24 pm

The second sounds slightly odd rather than "She's drinking coffee at Starbucks over there" I would use "She's having coffee at Starbucks over there". To use "drinking" seem to provide an emphasis to the action that suggests it is an inappropriate action. "She's drinking coffee and she knows that she should not be having caffeine".

A variation is to accentuate difference. "They went to have drinks at the pub. She is the one drinking coffee."
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:24 pm

Erik and tony h : Thank you both very much for your help. I really appreciate it.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:36 pm

I prefer this construction, and note the "a".
She's over there in Starbucks having a coffee.
She's over there in Starbucks drinking a coffee.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Stevenloan » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:34 pm

Bob : Thanks a lot for adding your two suggestions.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:21 pm

Bobinwales wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:36 pm
I prefer this construction, and note the "a".
She's over there in Starbucks having a coffee.
She's over there in Starbucks drinking a coffee.
Your use of "a" gets around the point that Erik made earlier. "having coffee" may be tea and cake, "having a coffee" will be having a coffee. Albeit one of those cafeMochaLatteFrappeAmericano coffees.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC