A moral boost

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

A moral boost

Post by Stevenloan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:25 am

A: Coffee Is ‘Not Essential For Life,’ Says Swiss Government.
B: Coffee may not provide nutrition, but it does provide comfort and a moral boost. Also, it helps disguise the taste of chemically purified water.

- Hi everyone! I couldn't find the meaning of "a moral boost" online. What does it mean in this case?

Thanks very much!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: A moral boost

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:18 pm

It's a typo for 'morale boost' or 'morale booster'.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by trolley » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:24 pm

It would be handy if it did provide a "moral boost". I can think of quite a few people who could use a cup or two.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:56 pm

Erik_Kowal wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:18 pm
It's a typo for 'morale boost' or 'morale booster'.
Not sure about that. The word "moral" in phrases such as "moral support" or "moral victory" refers to an intangible, psychological effect. It is perfectly feasible that the author is suggesting that the boost provided by coffee is of a psychological nature rather than a physiological nature. Or perhaps that, while the physiological boost is present, it is the psychological boost that is more important.

Or it could be a typo...
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by tony h » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:45 pm

Phil, how is a morale boost of a physiological nature, in a way that a moral boost would not be? Surely it is also psychological boost. Although either may, I would image, thence give rise to renewed physiological prowess.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Phil White » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:00 pm

That's not what I was saying. I was saying that "moral" may not be a typo and contrasting "moral" with "tangible" or "physiological", not contrasting "moral" with "morale".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Stevenloan » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:31 am

Erik, trolley, Phil White and tony h : Thank you all so so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC