Sea water

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

Sea water

Post by Stevenloan » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:31 pm

Hi everybody! What are the medical terms or the common ways to describe when a patient gets sea water into his or her body at the hospital?

Thanks a lot!

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: Sea water

Post by tony h » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:57 pm

I hope you mean salt-water. It is a saline drip. Saline is the salt water. The drip is the connecting the fluid into the arm.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Shelley » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:04 pm

Yes, that would be a saline (salt solution) drip, if the bag was labeled as such. It looks like that bag is holding a glucose solution, which is sugar. I'm no doctor, so I have to ask: is a glucose drip the same as a saline drip?

The bag of solution is delivered to the patient "intravenously", meaning the liquid flows, drop by drop, down the tube which is connected to a "port" taped to the patient's hand or wrist. The port has a needle which stays inserted into the vein, and tubes with various solutions can be changed easily at the port without having to stick the patient over and over again. The rate of flow is controlled by increasing the rapidity of the drops using a valve at the bottom of the bag. The whole thing is often referred to as an "IV drip".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Stevenloan » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:57 pm

tony h and Shelley : Thank you both so so much for your help. I really appreciate it.

StevenLoan
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC