where it hurts

This is the place to post questions and discussions on usage and style. The members of the Wordwizard Clubhouse will also often be able to help you to formulate that difficult letter.

where it hurts

Post by azz » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:31 am

a. Where it hurts is my right arm. I don't know why you want to put a bandage around my ankle!
b. My right arms is where it hurts. I don't know why you want to put a bandage around my ankle!

c. In these cases, the neck is where it hurts.
d. The neck is where it hurts in these cases

Are the above sentences grammatically correct?

Many thanks.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: where it hurts

Post by Phil White » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:06 pm

All are acceptable.

Sentence a is known as a "cleft" sentence, specifically a "wh- cleft" or a "pseudo-cleft". These are common when you want to shift the focus of the sentence. In the specific example of sentences a and b, I think that most speakers would prefer another form of cleft sentence: "It is my right arm that hurts".

Your sentence c is an example of something completely different. This is simple "fronting", i.e. putting a particular element at the beginning of a sentence to emphasize it. In your example, it would suggest something like "in these specific cases" or "in these and only these cases", especially if the word "these" is stressed in speech.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC