pimp the system

Discuss word origins and meanings.

pimp the system

Post by Archived Topic » Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:47 pm

To get more out of a job than one is supposed to get. Getting financial aid when not absolutely necessary--Allen Iverson, Urban Dict

The not so invisible hand of market forces that exploit the gangsta in a quest to pimp the American
consumer is an aberration to those who are true, but a natural consequence and in some ways a vehicle for gangstas to ~ --El Nacote, UD

Interested in meaning of this relatively new usage or how it grew out of the old

Also very interested in "gamngsta," if anyone would care to start a new thread on it--Thanks all and merry holidays--DH
Submitted by dale hileman (Apple Valley, CA - U.S.A.)
Post actions:
Signature: Topic imported and archived

pimp the system

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:01 pm

EBONICS is the colloquial term for African American Vernacular English (AAVE). Though coined at a 1973 conference on AAVE, the term was not widely known until the late 1990s when it became a controversial topic in the United States, mainly over its linguistic status. Today an Ebonics form of the word, "gangsta", has become associated with gangsta rap music. This style's lyrics are often based on living gang-related lifestyles.
GANGSTA rap is a genre of hip hop, often with lyrical subjects based on the violence inherent in the gangster lifestyle. This subject matter has caused a great deal of controversy, with many observers criticizing the genre for the perceived messages it espouses, including homophobia, misogyny, racism and materialism.
Don't mess wit de gangstas on Wordwiz, or dey rap you.
Robsta 23dec04
Reply from Rob Masters (Thailand - Thailand)
Post actions:
Signature: Reply imported and archived

pimp the system

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:14 pm

Dale, A look at the Google hits on ‘pimp the system’ tells me that it seems to mean to ‘milk’ or ‘exploit’ the system for all it is worth. The ‘pimp’ comes in as a verb since it describes how a ‘pimp’ (usually a man) exploits his prostitutes. I don’t see where it necessarily means doing anything illegal, but it involves taking advantage of the system to the fullest. Of the nearly 5000 hits I got, most referred to a rap song of this name (see below). Note that the first quote below bears some relevance to our present site problems:
<2002 “While you can PIMP THE SYSTEM now by getting multiple logins, even I (a non-database type) could pull this off
fairly easily.”— QC Ratings: Round 2 – Robert Lee, 11 June>

<2003 “The ‘street politics’ that Cube refers to are addressed in songs such as "Pimp the System," which contains the line "Your prostitutes wear high-heeled boots/ My prostitutes wear three-piece suits." "It's all about taking that (pimping) mentality corporate," Cube told VH1, "figuring out how to make money the legal way, which is a new way of thinking.”—‘Albuquerque Journal,’ 26 December>

In Brooklynese (and a few other dialects) a ‘gangster’ is a ‘gangsta’ and your ‘mother’ is you ‘motha’ — I think you get the idea.

Ken G – December 22, 2004
Reply from Ken Greenwald (Fort Collins, CO - U.S.A.)
Post actions:

pimp the system

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:27 pm

Pimp has become a common word here in the States, with many uses, including noun, verb, and adjective. A popular television show is called "Pimp my ride", where cars are modified to make them flashy. Also, being stern with a person is referred to as showing your "pimp hand".

I personally enjoy wearing a purple suit with a large floppy hat with a feather on top.

JF- 12/23/2004
Reply from Jeff Freeman (Orlando, FL - U.S.A.)
Post actions:

pimp the system

Post by Archived Reply » Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:41 pm

Rob, Ken, Jeff: Most helpful
My quick Googling seems to indicate also that ~, more than a rap style, is becoming a lifestyle, one of somewhat less than sterling qualities. Any further comments appreciated--Thanks again guys and happy holidays

as it's becoming Politically Incorrect to say "Merry Christmas"
Reply from dale hileman (Apple Valley, CA - U.S.A.)
Post actions:

End of topic.