Google / google

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Google / google

Post by Archived Topic » Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:14 pm

We now must accept "google" into the English Dictionaries of the World. Be the first to submit an entry. It must be on the fast track to Websters. The Oxford Canadian Dictionary has now recognized "spork", that handy utensil in a KFC condement bag.
Submitted by Gregg MacDonald (Halifax - Canada)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Google / google

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:41 pm

Looks like it already has some other meanings already:

According to Google History, the word google derives from a technical term in mathematics:

Google is a play on the word googol, which was coined by Milton Sirotta, nephew of American mathematician Edward Kasner, and was popularized in the book, “Mathematics and the Imagination” by Kasner and James Newman. It refers to the number represented by the numeral 1 followed by 100 zeros. Google’s use of the term reflects the company’s mission to organize the immense, seemingly infinite amount of information available on the web.

The word, however, also has other — and older — meanings.

It appears, for instance, in Mark Twain’s The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. At the beginning of chapter 29, the duke, one of the two scoundrels on the raft, plays the “deef and dumb” William Wilks, and goes “a goo-gooing around, happy and satisfied, like a jug that’s googling out buttermilk.”

Obviously, Google has gobbled most of the Web search market, but I find myself curiously intrigued by this idea of google as an onomatopoeia, a word that imitates the sound that something makes. If you listen closely to the flow of information, you’ll notice that it gluggs, gurgles, and googles as it goes.

In hard news: Google is about to become a publicly traded company shortly. According to the company’s own estimation released yesterday, their stock will be worth $3.3 Billion. That’s a lot of buttermilk googling out of the jug.

http://www.tawawa.org

Maybe a spork will do the job of googling!
Reply from Leighton Harris (Cambridge - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Google / google

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:54 pm

The consensus among bloggers of my ilk, for what it's worth--which in't very much-- is that Google should be capitalized, even when it's used as a verb--DH
Reply from dale hileman (Apple Valley, CA - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Google / google

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:07 pm

Small Connection,
My grangran used to was known as a 'pinch & glug cook', in that 'measure' in her way, was a "pinch of this dry stuff" and a "glug of that liquid stuff".
lneil
Reply from Louis Bussey (Boise - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Google / google

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:21 pm

I thought that a "spork" was really a runcible spoon...

Reply from Tara Taylor (Knoxville - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Google / google

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:34 pm

I know you're joking Tara, but thought I'd dig this up anyway as it's interesting if you didn't already know.

The first practical application of runcification was in 1871 when Edward Lear noted that a runcible spoon could be used by owls and pussycats. ("They dined on mince, and slices of quince, / Which they ate with a runcible spoon," from The Owl & The Pussy-Cat.)

In subsequent years Lear applied the principles of runcibility in other fields:

"He has gone to fish, for Aunt Jobiska's Runcible Cat with crimson whiskers!" (1877). "His body is perfectly spherical, / He weareth a runcible hat" (1888). "What a runcible goose you are!" (1895). "We shall presently all be dead, / On this ancient runcible wall" (1895).

Satisfaction with the early results of runcilation led Lear and his admirers to overlook the fact that there were many unanswered questions about the runciatory process, e.g., what it was. Lear's contemporaries recognized that runcility was one of those conditions partaking of the ineffable, meaning it had the same connection to reality as scroobius pips and Gromboolian plains and about a thousand other Learisms--namely none.

But that wasn't good enough for the literal-minded folk of the 20th century. In the 1920s one self-appointed runciologist announced that "a runcible spoon is a kind of fork with three broad prongs or tines, one having a sharp edge, curved like a spoon, used with pickles, etc. Its origin is in jocose allusion to the slaughter at the Battle of Ronceveaux, because it has a cutting edge."

At first blush this made perfect sense. One can think of numerous eating instruments named in lighthearted reference to scenes of mass death.

But skeptics pointed out that Lear's drawings of runcible spoons gave no indication of tines or cutting edges. Also the use of a runcible spoon for the pedestrian purpose of eating pickles seemed at odds with the refined original menu of mince and quince. And why should one require a spoon with a cutting edge for quince that, Lear tells us, has already been sliced?

Modern students of runciosity believe that while it may have been inspired by the word "rouncival" (apparently meaning gigantic), runcibilization as we know it today was the invention of Edward Lear.

But the runcible-spoon-as-pickle-fork idea has taken firm root. One sighs, but what can you do? I expect the discovery of the Bong-tree any day.

--CECIL ADAMS

http://www.straightdope.com
Reply from Leighton Harris (Cambridge - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Google / google

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:47 pm

L: Was doubfounded to get not a single hit on runcify or runciology but I am intrigued
Reply from dale hileman (Apple Valley, CA - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Google / google

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:01 pm

An additional bit of trivia, though obvious, is that a googleplex is a 1 followed by one google 0's.

Aside from infinity, this is the only other massive number I have seen named.

Please respond to this if there are any bigger "named" numbers of which I am thusfar unaware.
Reply from Eric Lamb (Fenton - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Google / google

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:14 pm

I think a googolplex plus 1 is "named" "Joe," but that could just be short for "Joseph"! *G*
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Google / google

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:27 pm

Love it. I suppose the eschewless Joe was unavoidable there.
Reply from Eric Lamb (Fenton - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Google / google

Post by Ken Greenwald » Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:41 am

The following story appeared on the Google News homepage today:
<Google becomes a verb, Posted by Amber Maitland

07 July 2006 - Google is now officially a verb in the English language

First the venerable authority on the language that is the Oxford English Dictionary added Google as a verb to its online edition.

Now Merriam-Webster has added google, without the capital ‘G’ as a generic term, as a verb to its 11th edition released this autumn.

In the online edition of the American dictionary, it defines it thus: “to use the Google search engine to obtain information about (as a person) on the World Wide Web.”

“It's a consequence of us finding the word used in print so frequently that we feel it's appropriate to add it in our dictionary,” said Merriam Webster Associate Editor Peter Sokolowski.

“When we find it in print, it is usually used without any definition at all so it is becoming naturalised.”

Merriam Webster editors spend time every day scanning publications to see what new words or usages crop up.

It only took 5 years for the word to gain its official status, which is remarkably quick; usually it takes 10 to 20 years.

The inclusion of 'google' in the dictionary may seem a boon to the Internet company, but in actual fact it reveals an erosion of its trademark. A word that is part of everyday usage is not legally protected anymore.

According to one report, Google alerted investors to the problem in its 2005 annual report, saying “that there is a risk that the word Google could become so commonly used that it because synonymous with the word 'search.’ If this happens we could lose protection for our trademark, which could result in other people using the word 'Google’ to refer to their own products.”

Other new words that have made it into the new edition of Merriam Webster include, ‘spyware,’ ‘mouse potato,’ ‘soul patch,’ ‘ringtone,’ and ‘himbo.’>

Oxford English Dictionary

GOOGLE verb [Google, a proprietary name for an Internet search engine launched in September 1998. The name of the search engine was perhaps conceived as an alteration of GOOGOL noun [[A fanciful name (not in formal use) for ten raised to the hundredth power (10^100) – 1940]]..., with allusion to the large amount of information contained on the Internet.]

1) intransitive To the Google search engine to find information on the Internet.
<1999 “Has anyone Googled? http://www.google.com Ver ver [sic] clean and fast.”—‘Re: Hi Guys! in alt.fan.british-accent (Usenet newsgroup), 10 October>

<2003 “You can google all you want and there's nothing there on them.”—‘Sunday Herald (Glasgow), 14 September, (Seven Days Section), page 7/3>

<2004 “The couple found themselves Googling for a new place to live.”—‘U.S. News & World Report,’ 14 June, page 49/2>
2) transitive To search for information about (a person or thing) using the Google search engine.
<2000 “I've googled some keywords, and it came up with some other .edu text.”—‘Re: $Emergency_Number in NYC in alt.sysadmin.recovery (Usenet newsgroup), 10 January>

<2001 “I met this woman last night at a party and I came right home and googled her.”—‘N.Y. Times,’ 11 March, III. page 12/3>

<2005 “Obsessing over the details, including Googling his name every few hours? Too right I did.”—‘Intimate Adventures of London Call Girl’ by ‘Belle De Jour,’ III. page 12/3>

Merriam-Webster Online

Main Entry: google
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): googled; googling
Usage: often capitalized
Etymology: Google, trademark for a search engine

To use the Google search engine to obtain information about (as a person) on the World Wide Web

Ken G – July 7, 2006
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Google / google

Post by gdwdwrkr » Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:24 am

the dictionary becomes a speech
(as a person)?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Google / google

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:12 pm

.. Macquarie Dictionary 4th Edition, 2005 has ..
google verb (googled, googling) -verb (i) 1. to search for information on the internet. -verb (t) 2. to search the internet for information about: to google the research topic. -noun 3. an instance of such a search: to have a little google. [trademark Google , an internet search engine]
.. of course I realise this doesn't make it a real word but only an Aussie word but it was nice to see the yanks follow our lead .. *grin* ..

.. Macquarie also lists the interesting game of ..
googlewhacking noun a game employing the Google search engine to find a combination of search words that produces a single result.
.. now that sounds like a game that Dale would salivate over ..

.. Ken I noticed that himbo and mouse potato had previously been included in The Oxford Dictionary of New Words and ringtone in the Macquarie IV ..

WoZ of Aus 13/07/06
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC