in the tub

Discuss word origins and meanings.

in the tub

Post by Archived Topic » Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:47 am

There is a great on-line comic, with aspects of Pogo, Peanuts, and Calvin and Hobbes in every strip. You can find and read it at:

http://www.ozyandmillie.org/

Real fun reading, very thought-provoking, too. There are five years of the strip in .zip files, if you read any and like them. =) (I have no affiliation with it, just really like it.)

One of the strips was written when the 2000 American elections were being held, and a character was running for president. He lost, but then the issue of the hanging chads arose, and the strip had a bit about that. One of the strips had a phrase I did not understand the usage of, but I might be reading too much into it. I cannot find a reference to the phrase, but I did find this site. :-p

The character didn't really want to win. He is talking to his campaign manager, after she tells him about the chads. He says, "What? Why wasn't this discovered earlier?" She says, "Computer error." He says, "I'll be in the tub." And she says, "Yeah, so will most of the country."

I do understand he'll be in the tub, worrying that he might actually win. The author usually puts two or three meanings into the dialogue of each strip, they are very well thought out. I don't understand if her reply has to do with a term I am not familiar with, or if she means the country will just be worrying about it, from a different perspective.

Many of the other strips, and there are quite a lot of them, use phrases and references that would lead me to believe I am missing part of the joke. Then again, I could just be reading too much into it.

Thanks!
Submitted by Edgar Stentz (Orlando - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

in the tub

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:01 am

He just means that he needs a long hot soak to get away from it all (the stress and aggravation of the situation). As the old commercial for bubblebath used to say - "Calgon, take me away!"
Reply from Russ Cable (Dallas, TX - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

in the tub

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:41 am

~...Bankrupt; ruined; =in the dumper--H-c Dict of Am Slang--dh
Reply from dale hileman (Apple Valley, CA - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

in the tub

Post by Ken Greenwald » Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:37 am

Edgar, Both Russ’ and Dale’s interpretations make sense here and maybe the author realized there was a double meaning.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC