like a lizard drinking

Discuss word origins and meanings.

like a lizard drinking

Post by Archived Topic » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:21 am

This is an intriguing Aussie expression meaning busy or fast and I'd appreciate any other meanings

When I google ~ as a phrase but rejecting "australia, "au" "uk" "aussie" etc I get only 32 hits; would I be correct in assuming it hasn't yet caught on here

Incidentally, when "flat out" is added, does this change the meaning? One soource suggests that this makes it an oxymoron, or adds a note of irony

Thanks guys
and gals
Submitted by dale hileman (Apple Valley, CA - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

like a lizard drinking

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:34 am

Dale I have never encoutered this Aussie expression without the "flat out" part, viz "Mate, he was flat out like a lizard drinking." .. the irony or not is contextual and depends upon how it is used and in reference to whom .. it can mean both that he was just working very hard and fast or that it was unusual for him to be working very hard .. the earliest reference I have is >>>

1944: Jean Devanney, "By Tropic, Sea and Jungle.", 227: "The mother [kangaroo-rat]went one way and the young one another ... It ran straight, as flat out as a lizard drinking."

1951: Dal Stivens, "Jimmy Brockett.", 70: "The Wednesday of that week I was flat out like a lizard drinking when the phone rang."

1952: John Cleary, "The Sundowners.", 183: "You've been flat out like a lizard drinking, but this cove is right with you all the time."

1970: Max Harris, "Australian.", 10 Jan., 14: "Have you ever copped the way those girls serve the community at the Sydney Telephone Exchang? Flat out like lizards drinking, all day long."

(Ref: A Dictionary of Australian Colloquialisms. GA Wilkes.)

.. so Dale I hope that helps mate and continues your education of us wierd Collonials from Downunder .. so goodonyamate ..
WoZ of Aus 16/12/04
Reply from Wizard of Oz (Newcastle - Australia)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

like a lizard drinking

Post by Archived Reply » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:47 am

Thank you Wiz; yes when I block "flat out," I get only 23 hits, which is very small by Google standards

I really appreciate the examples too

But has anybody here with teeners heard it? Thanks all--dh
Reply from dale hileman (Apple Valley, CA - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC