suck up all the oxygen

Discuss word origins and meanings.

suck up all the oxygen

Post by Archived Topic » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:54 pm

"... strides onscreen, screaming for Ged's head, abusing priestesses...and generally sucking up all the oxygen in the room" -- So Florida Sun-Sentinel
Submitted by dale hileman (Apple Valley, CA - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

suck up all the oxygen

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:47 am

Of course the faggots wont kindle with the oxygen gone!!
A cold meal again.
Reply from Gary Wallington (Akolele - Australia)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

suck up all the oxygen

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:14 am

Oh, and Gazzer, on the contrary, and excellent hot meal...3 bacon toasties and a cup of coffee...why did you think it might have been cold?
R
Reply from Robert Masters (Asia - Thailand)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

suck up all the oxygen

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:41 am

"When Clinton walked into the room he sucked up all the oxygen"
Reply from dale hileman (Apple Valley, CA - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

suck up all the oxygen

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:47 am

Dale, A flame shines brightly and ‘sucks up all the oxygen’ depriving others in the vicinity of its use. Similarly an individual/story/thing may shine brightly and in the process ‘suck up’ / ‘absorb’ / ‘gain’ all the surrounding ATTENTION/ENERGY/INTEREST, becoming the ‘focus of attention’ and leaving little room for notice to be paid to others or other things.

The earliest use of the expression that I could find in print was 1996, but how much earlier than that it was around, I can’t say. It was definitely a hot phrase around the time of the 2000 election and seems to still be going strong, giving me the feeling that it might be here to stay.[quote]<1996 “I think Alison [Krauss] is terrified of me because I blow in the door like a hurricane and SUCK UP ALL THE OXYGEN in the room. I wear my heart on my sleeve and say whatever comes to my mind.”— ‘The Boston Globe,’ Hurricane Wynonna Shakes Up Nashville, 10 February>

<1999 “Lebrecht dislikes the fact that a handful of overhyped, overpaid and underinvolved superstars SUCK UP THE OXYGEN for everybody else.”—‘listserv.cuny.edu,’ 4 September>

<2000 “If Downey's flamboyant, often hilarious performance tends to SUCK UP ALL THE OXYGEN in the scenes he's in, McDormand is nicely understated in another of the relatively low-profile roles she has pursued since winning a best-actress Oscar for ‘Fargo.’”—‘Salon.com,’ 25 February>

<2000 “KURTZ: . . . . Now if some of that media OXYGEN IS GOING TO BE SUCKED UP by Bill, Hill, Monica, the fundraising, the Hollywood celebrities, isn't that inevitably going to take part of the press spotlight off Al Gore?”—‘Reliable Sources’ (Howard Kurtz & Bernard Kalb CNN moderators), 12 August>

<2001 “NOVAK: Lisa, I know you love President Clinton, but let me tell you this: He is not going to go away. He is going to hog the spotlight. He is going to SUCK UP THE OXYGEN. Poor Al Gore will be asphyxiated.”—‘Crossfire’ (Robert Novak CNN host), 18 January>

<2004 “RUSH: . . . The New York Times has finally come out with it: the Democrats are worried silly about Clinton's memoir coming out this summer because it's going to SUCK UP ALL THE OXYGEN and kick John Kerry off the stage.”— ‘RushLimbaugh.com,’ 13 April>

<2004 “And leave nothing for any one else Dean has SUCKED UP ALL THE MEDIA OXYGEN.”—‘Pandagon, May>[/quote}

Ken G – December 13, 2004
Reply from Ken Greenwald (Fort Collins, CO - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

suck up all the oxygen

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:27 am

Guys: Read Ken's response. Now, that's the kind of thread one would expect on a blog like WW

Ken thanks profusely
Reply from dale hileman (Apple Valley, CA - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC