'del' as a prefix

Discuss word origins and meanings.

'del' as a prefix

Post by Archived Topic » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:41 am

Why was the word Del used as a prefix to so many names of musical groups of the 50's and early 60's? Did it have some significant meaning then, such as phat or groovy or something else at the time? i.e. Delfonics, Del Vikings, The Dells, Del Shannon.
Submitted by michael turmel (manchester - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

'del' as a prefix

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:54 am

This is one of those cases where things that look the same don't have the same source.

Del Shannon says that he derived the first part of his stage name (real name Charles Westover) from the Cadillac DeVille. Okay, I don't get it either, but that's what he says.
The Del Vikings were originally the Dell Vikings until a split in the group and legal wrangling among their labels. At one point the Del Vikings (Mercury label) and the Dell Vikings (Dot label) actually had singles out at the same time. So the Del in Del Vikings is just a ploy to avoid a trademark infringement.
The Delfonics were originally the Orphonics until a former member of the Dell Vikings became their manager and changed their name so the del in Delphonics comes from the Dell Vikings.
I can't find any source for why the Dells (originally the El-Rays) or the Dell Vikings called themselves that, but I don't think you can call del exactly a prefix for -l ;-) There is a region of Wisconsin called the Dells, but neither group is actually from WI so I don't know if that has any bearing.
Reply from Russ Cable (Dallas, TX - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

'del' as a prefix

Post by Archived Reply » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:07 am

.. and not to be left out, Downunder we had the Deltones >>
"Australia knew that it loved the Deltones in 1958, when the four young lifesavers appeared gawky, gangly and hopeful at the Bronte Surf Club, then in radio show Rockville Junction and television shows Six O'Clock Rock and Bandstand, and finally on record with their debut top twenty hit, the doo wop standard Gee. Young, fresh and enthusiastic, with creamy harmonics punctuated by the booming bass tones of the almost cartoon-like Ian "Pee Wee Wilson", the Beanpole of Bop, the Delltones were humorous, entertaining and irrepressible, able to light up a stage or a television screen. And, at least in the very early days, it all seemed to just fall in their laps. "We were a vocal group with straight harmonies" Pee Wee recalls. "We would walk around Sydney's streets and at the right place suddenly launch into a doo wop song. That was how we got our first gig, a restaurant manager heard us and booked us. Payment was a plate of spaghetti bolognaise and a beer each."

.. I don't know where their name came from but I am sure that none of the members were ex-Dell Vikings .. *grin* ..
WoZ of Aus 07/12/04
Reply from Wizard of Oz (Newcastle - Australia)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC