hit his straps

Discuss word origins and meanings.

hit his straps

Post by Archived Topic » Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:34 pm

I was reading an article on the etymology of the word ‘gonzo’ by a professor at Queensland University in which he said the following: “In contrast, the early sixties were a lean time for Thompson. HST [[journalist and author Hunter S. Thompson (1939– ) and coiner of the word]]. He didn’t HIT HIS STRAPS until a decade later after a much less glorious route into journalism.”

My first thought was that it was a cycling term in which the straps were the cyclist’s toe straps that held one’s cleated shoes firmly in the toe clips and on the pedal (before the days of clipless cleats). However, after 40 years of racing, coaching, and as editor of Competitive Cycling Magazine in the 1970s, I had never come across this expression. However, I have been out of cycling since 1990 (a knee injury did me in) and thought that perhaps the term might have surfaced since then. But this didn’t make much sense since toe straps were on there way out by the time I quit the sport.

A check of every source available (at least to me) did not turn up anything on this phrase. A Google search, however, produced ~60 hits for ‘hit his straps’ + ‘cycling’ and I found that it was, indeed used in that context and all the examples seemed to indicate that the expression was synonymous with ‘hit his stride’ (derived from horse racing), achieved a steady, effective high level of competence. However, a wider search produced ~1100 hits for ‘hit his straps’ and ~600 for ‘hit the straps’ indicating that the expression had spread well beyond cycling, but all appeared to have the same meaning and most were from Australia, New Zealand, U.K. and were related to sports (cricket, soccer, horse racing, cycling, etc.).

After sifting through a fair number of the above, I came up with the following in a ten-year-old article on a cricket match: “Then yesterday, from the dying embers of a weather-ruined final day, Fraser ‘hit his straps,’ as they say over here, and exploited the juice in a pitch covered by plastic through two hours of afternoon rain.” This established that the expression was definitely regional and cast further doubt on whether ‘hit his straps,’ originated in cycling and that it most likely had something to do with a sport I know nothing about, such as cricket, rugby, . . .

So, my conclusion is that the expression is definitely used down under and that there is a strong likelihood that’s where it had originated and probably in a sport popular there. Any help on the origin of this expression from our friends in that part of the world would be appreciated.

Ken G – November 18, 2004
Submitted by Ken Greenwald (Fort Collins, CO - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

hit his straps

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:17 pm

Ken,
The only halfway useful things I can say are that I only know it as "hit the straps", although Google shows more hits for "hit his straps", and that I've always had an utterly unsubstantiated feeling that it came from rowing (about which I know nothing...).
Neither of these feelings are borne out by what I have seen on the Web, but since the prevailing feeling here seems to be that one should say whatever comes into one's head, however foolish or unfounded, what the hell!
Phil W. 19 November, 2004
Reply from Phil White (Munich - Germany)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

hit his straps

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Dec 05, 2004 6:46 pm

Ken
I'm like Phil, just taking a stab at it, but I
think it had to do with harness racing. They use
leather straps to hobble the horse during training
so they can't gallop, so when the horse was hitting
it's straps, it had got the stride right.
Just a guess!!!
Reply from Gary Wallington (Akolele - Australia)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC