Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Post by Archived Topic » Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:51 am

"Put that in your pipe and smoke it!" I would like to know where this phrase came from originally.
Submitted by Rick Blessing (Canton - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:05 am

Rick, PUT THAT IN YOU PIPE AND SMOKE IT means take that and think about it, make what you can of that, digest that if you can, put up with that if you can, and that’s final (even if you don’t like it and disagree with it). Although the origin of this expression is not known for certain, it is generally believed that it developed from the widely held concept that pipe smokers are thoughtful and/or contemplative. The term first appeared in print circa 1824 (see quote below).
<c1824 “PUT THAT IN YOU PIPE AND SMOKE IT.”—‘American Abroad’ by R. B. Peake(1884), I. page 4/2>

<1840 “PUT THAT IN YOUR PIPE, my lord Otto, AND SMOKE IT!–‘The Lay of St. Odille’ by R. H. Barham>

<1947 “I'm engaged to her, so PUT THAT IN YOUR PIPE AND SMOKE IT.”—‘Creatures of Circumstance’ by W. Somerset Maugham, page 296>

<1981 “Dear Smoker: Because your nervous habit pollute the air, that’s why. Now PUT THAT IN YOUR PIPE AND SMOKE IT!”—‘The Best of Dear Abby’ by Abigal Van Buren>
(Facts on File Dictionary of Clichés, Random House Dictionary of America’s Popular Proverbs and Sayings, Picturesque Expressions by Urdang)

Ken G – August 19, 2004
Reply from Ken Greenwald (Fort Collins, CO - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC