exacerbate vs. exasperate

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Post by Archived Topic » Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:08 pm

I see that exacerbate has "harsh" as its root, while exasperate has "rough" - I prefer exacerbate, but I'm just wondering if they are completely interchangeable?
Brandon Z.
Submitted by Brandon Zimmer (Court House - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:22 pm

Brandon, According to the dictionaries I’ve checked, it appears that they could be used as synonyms. However, in my experience the ways in which I have heard these words used would indicate to me that there is a distinction, but perhaps this distinction resides only in my head.

Here, I have selected those portions of the dictionary definitions which support my view and I emphasize that this is only my opinion, based on my experience, and is not gospel:

EXASPERATE means to make angry or impatient, annoy greatly, enrage, to cause irritation or annoyance.

EXACERBATE means to increase the severity, aggravate, intensify the harshness or grievousness or to increase in virulence or violence, as of pain, disease, or hatred.

The distinction between the two words, as far as I am concerned, is that ‘exasperate’ is generally an emotion that applies to people and ‘exacerbate’ is something that generally applies to things and situations – not people.

EXASPERATE: <“The general reader will be exasperated by a certain cavalier cuteness.”—C. H. Driver>, <”She’s a good child but her behavior often exasperates me.”>, <“He was exasperated by the senseless delays.”>

EXACERABATE: <“her condition was exacerbated by lack of care.”>, <”foolish words exacerbated the quarrel”>, <“all the frictions that exacerbated the long-drawn-out negotiations”— Howard Taubman>,
<“exacerbating factors in modern life”>, <“the injuries to his pride, exacerbated by her desertion of him”— Edith Sitwell>

(Random House and Merriam-Webster’s Unabridged Dictionaries, American Heritage Dictionary, Oxford English Dictionary)

Ken G – March 2, 2004
Reply from Ken Greenwald (Fort Collins, CO - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:37 pm

In practical terms, exacerbate and exasperate are not synonymous, but the product of mispronunciation, like "supposably," or confused definition, like "irregardless." What exasperates many readers is that over time, repetition of the erroneous mispronunciation exacerbates the original error and codifies it.
Reply from James Tuttle (Paris - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:51 pm

Here's a little more info from the OED:
exacerbate, v.

[f. L. exacerbt- ppl. stem of exacerb-re, f. ex- intensive + acerb-us harsh, bitter, grievous.]

1. trans. To increase the smart of (a pain), the virulence of (disease), the bitterness of (feeling, speech, etc.); to embitter, aggravate. Also, to embitter or sour the feelings of (a person); to irritate, provoke.

exasperate, v.

[f. L. exaspert- ppl. stem of exasperre to roughen, irritate, f. ex- (see ex- prefix1) + asper rough.]

1. To make harsh or rugged; to add harshness to (language, sounds, etc.); to render (laws) more severe. Obs.
Reply from Leif Thorvaldson (Eatonville - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC