Chester's gorilla

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Chester's gorilla

Post by Archived Topic » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:25 am

That term appeared in some Frank Zappa songs. Is there any meaning in that? <may be just nonsense>
Thx in adv
Submitted by Jan Saudek (Marbach - Germany)
Post actions:
Signature: Topic imported and archived

Chester's gorilla

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:39 am

Jan, Frank Zappa’s lyrics appear to be mostly nonsense but if you follow the lyrics of the first song, ‘Inca Roads,’ on his ‘One Size Fits All’(1975) album he appears to be saying that Chester is a space alien:
Did a booger-bear / Come from somewhere out there / Just to land in the Andes? . . . / Or did someone build a place / Or leave a space for Chester's Thing [[a flying saucer – ‘Did a vehicle / Come from somewhere out there to land’]].
There is also an implication there, I think, that the alien could take on or create various forms. Four tracks later in ‘Florentine Pogen,’ he’s talking about a girl, who is possibly one of Chester’s incarnations. He then says:
Chester's go-rilla [[Chester’s forms?]] / She go quack / Chester's go-rilla / She go oink / Chester's go-rilla / She go moo . . .
Which seems to be saying that the alien is able to change forms or create creatures that look like they are from terrestrial, but they’re not.

What this all means, who know or who cares – Zappa is all about the music and not the lyrics anyway, although he did do some satire and social commentary that appeared to be a bit more meaningful than what’s on this album!

So to answer your question, yes, there probably is some meaning to the expression, but it’s probably nonsense! (<:)

(http://www.science.uva.nl/~robbert/zapp ... _Fits_All/)

Ken G – February, 13, 2004
Reply from Ken Greenwald (Fort Collins, CO - U.S.A.)
Post actions:
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Chester's gorilla

Post by Archived Reply » Sun Oct 24, 2004 8:53 am

P.S. Science fiction fans, if you’re into the twilight zone, it is interesting to note that Frank Zappa, who died of cancer in 1993, wrote of Chester’s gorilla, probably an alien, in 1975, and starting in 2001 Deborah CHESTER wrote the first of her science fiction trilogy entitled ‘The Alien Chronicles,’ which was actually my first guess for the source of Chester’s gorilla!

Ken G – February 13, 2004

Reply from Ken Greenwald (Fort Collins, CO - U.S.A.)
Post actions:
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Re: Chester's gorilla

Post by Panheadxxx » Sat Sep 05, 2015 6:11 pm

The real meaning of the phrase Chesters Gorilla used in Zappa songs comes from the term Booger Bear,not space aliens .
Zappas band used to pick out the band member with the ugliest groupie that night & hang a shrunken head on that band members hotel room door & it was the Booger Bear award.

Now Chesters gorilla she goes Moo is about Chester Thompson picking up a fat girl, she goes oink is Chester Thompson picking up a fat pig , she goes quack is self explainatory .

Napolean Murphy Brock would sing Cbesters Gorilla she goes ( make fart noise ) then he'd walk like his thighs were squishing together like a fat girl Chester Thompson brought back to the hotel , all the Booger Bear tom follery & Chesters Gorilla is about life in the road & the groupies Zappa & his band members picked up .
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:50 am

Panhead you sound like you were a roadie for Zappa or at least know of pranks when touring. Or was you just one of the groupies bro ??

WoZ turning and running
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Panheadxxx » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:25 pm

Wasnt a roadie but good guess , most of the " inside jokes " built into franks music are about sex or sex acts such as the Mud Shark Vanilla Fudge incident .
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:55 pm

Ok you got me interested. WTF is the mud shark vanilla fudge incident??

Urban dictionary tells me that a mud shark is a white woman who dates black men, usually because of low self-esteem. The same source tells me that vanilla fudge is semen mixed with faecal material. So it does seem to be referring to a rather unsavoury incident, depending on how you view these matters.

WoZ still learning
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Panheadxxx » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:30 am

Ok the term Mud Shark is about an incident that took place at a hotel where patrons could rent fishing gear & fish from their balconys, durring the 60's & 70's many music acts all stayed at this hotel, including the rock band Vanilla Fudge .

One of the band members in Vanilla Fudge caught a few fish & had them in the hotel room bathtub & introduced a whacked out groupie to the fish , well the fish was inserted into an orifice & the Mothers happened to wittness the insertion of the fish into the females orifice & hence forth the Mud Shark was born .

Absolute true story & if you havent heard the band Vanilla Fudge you really should , an excellent rock act for that era .

Flo & Eddie from the Mothers took the Mud Shark episode they wittnessed that day & incorporeted it into their performance after Frank announced to the audience the word for the day was Mud Shark .
Post actions:

Post by Panheadxxx » Tue Sep 08, 2015 4:37 am

Oh one more piece of history is the song Suzy Creamcheese , there is a real life girl that got nicknamed Suzy Creamcheese, her real name is Pamela but i'll spare her family the embarassment of posting her last name .

Suzy , Suzy Creamcheese, whats got into ya honey ! :)
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:22 pm

Dear Pan I think you should be writing all of this down somewhere with a view to a book that may secure your old age in luxury.

WoZ who shoulda written many books
Post actions:

Post by Panheadxxx » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:04 pm

I agree but most dont care about nostalgia books anymore & few writers end up with any real money from their efforts , i did author a book on a different topic & secured publishing but so many downloads of it are available for free online it soured me from further texts .
Post actions:

End of topic.