story / floor

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:28 pm

So that's why he was on that ranch.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

story / floor

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:33 pm

So that's why who was on what ranch?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

story / floor

Post by dalehileman » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:17 pm

Erik: "A story/storey is not a standard unit of measurement, and should not be treated as such"

Perhaps not, but the practice is pretty well estblished (at least here in the leftpond). Many aspects of current language are barbaric and deplorable, but our opinion doesn't count for much. As the expr goes, we ought to just lie down and enjoy it
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

story / floor

Post by Shelley » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:06 pm

Archived Reply wrote: Also different in some countries is the numbering of the floors. In the US in most buildings the ground floor is also the 1st floor. In England one flight up is the 1st floor.

John, CA
Not only that, in the US many buildings will not number a floor "13". In searching this on Wordwizard, I found out "4" is unlucky in Chinese (the word for four resembles the word for death), and is avoided in floor-numbering, as well.

Edwin, that's a perplexing pronouncement. -- Why who was where?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

story / floor

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:11 pm

Three-freezers.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

story / floor

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:26 pm

Edwin, take the little pink pills, not the big blue ones.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

story / floor

Post by gdwdwrkr » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:34 am

That's my storey, and I'm stickin to it.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

story / floor

Post by kagriffy » Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:23 am

I've noticed that carpet retailers here in the US have changed, during the last ten years or so, the way they price the carpeting. Carpet used to be priced by the sqaure yard, but now it's priced by the square foot. I assume it's so those retailers can advertise a low per-unit price. And, unfortunately, most Americans think that carpet that used to cost $30/square yard is a bargain at only $5/square foot!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature:
K. Allen Griffy
Springfield, Illinois (USA)

story / floor

Post by gdwdwrkr » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:32 am

Some will have the polypropylene pulled over their eyes.
Most? Not the Americans I know!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

story / floor

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:31 pm

Just how thick are the carpets over there?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

story / floor

Post by gdwdwrkr » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:41 pm

You saw he said square yard, not cubic yard!?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

story / floor

Post by Ken Greenwald » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:50 pm

Edwin, They don't have to be that thick for a cover story!

Ken - July 11, 2006
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

story / floor

Post by Edwin Ashworth » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:51 am

I can see the headlines now:
PM says he will carpet members of the cabinet.
Opposition in total agreement: "Axe ministers!"
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

story / floor

Post by Erik_Kowal » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:39 am

If the blood-letting continued for a couple of days, Ministers keep wilting on Wilton would be the next headline.

In due course, the self-serving memoirs would start appearing in the Sunday heavies:

The day they pulled the rug out from under: from Axminster to ex-minister

I blame Cardinal Wolsey for setting this lacklustre precedent and thereby landing himself on the mat.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

story / floor

Post by tony h » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:33 am

Did I read that Prescott had two shag pile carpets?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.