use your loaf

Discuss word origins and meanings.

use your loaf

Post by Archived Topic » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:34 am

Loaf can mean a large shaped bread,or to hang around in an idle manner. I wonder how it also came to be used for ones mind or head? Maybe bread was head shaped at some time.
Submitted by Melvyn Goodman (London - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Topic imported and archived

use your loaf

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:49 am

Melvyn, Looks like it comes from rhyming slang.

Cassell’s Dictionary of Slang

LOAF noun [1910’s+] a head, especially brains, intelligence; thus USE ONE’S LOAF, to act sensibly, often as imperative. USE YOUR LOAF! [rhyming slang ‘loaf of bread]

I guess they’re saying the loaf derived from the idea that ‘use your head’ rhymes with ‘loaf of bread

Ken G - April 18, 2002
Reply from Ken Greenwald (Fort Collins, CO - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

use your loaf

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:03 am

It's very typical of rhyming slang to drop the rhyming element, leaving those outside the circle of comprehension scratching their heads. I could set out many examples, but will give just these two:

"Take a butcher's at that! Phwooar!" = "Look at that [young woman]! What an impressive figure!" Full rhyming phrase: "Butcher's hook", to rhyme with "look".

"I'm absolutely boracic, what have you got?" = "I'm completely broke, what money do you have?" Full rhyming phrase: "Boracic lint", to rhyme with "skint", i.e. "broke".
Reply from Erik Kowal ( - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

use your loaf

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:17 am

see abbot & costello's baker's assistant routine when asked
what he does at the bakery , abbot says he's the loafer.
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

use your loaf

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:32 am

Thanks. I should have realised it was rhyming slang. My trouble and strife says I should use my loaf of bread as well as my apple pies, and not keep running up the apples and pears looking for something thats already in my lucy locket.
Reply from Melvyn Goodman (London - England)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

use your loaf

Post by Archived Reply » Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:46 am

Oxford English Dictonary

LOAF: Slang [probably from from loaf of bread, rhyming slang for ‘head’.] The (human) head; hence, the mind, common sense; especially in phrase to use one's loaf.
<1925 “LOAF, head, e.g., ‘Duck your LOAF—i.e., keep your head below the parapet’.”—‘Soldier & Sailor Words’ by Fraser & Gibbons, page 145>

<1938 “Bloody seconds counted in a job like this. You certainly had to USE YOUR LOAF.”—‘They Drive by Night’ by J. Curtis, xiv. page 155>

<1943 “USE YOUR LOAF is the injunction often heard when someone is particularly slow in following orders. But this phrase, in its finer meanings, says: ‘Use your common sense. Interpret orders according to the situation as you find it, and don't follow the book of words too literally.’”–‘Service Slang’ by Hunt & Pringle, page 44>

<1957 “He USES HIS LOAF where you and I just muddle along.”—‘Bridge’ by P. Franku, page 73>

<1971 “You want to USE YOUR bloody LOAF, Stubbs, or we'll never win this war the way you're carrying on.”—‘Soldier Erect’ by B. W. Adliss, page 79>
Ken G – January 4, 2006
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC