Germany/Alemania/Deutschland?

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Post by Archived Reply » Wed May 26, 2004 12:15 pm

So why do the French call the Germans Boche?
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Post by Archived Reply » Wed May 26, 2004 12:29 pm

Stranger still ... The English call the Germans Huns? But the Huns were an Asiatic people who invaded Europe circa 4th-5th centuries AD.
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Wed May 26, 2004 12:44 pm

I only know what I read in the papers and my French ain’t so hot so this is open to correction by wiser folk:

Why French use BOCHE for German: Story is that its from the French “tete de boche” for obstinate person which supposedly came from the French slang alboche, which was a combination of the two words allemand (German) and caboche (pate, head) – sounds good to me.

Why the English call the Germans HUNS: Actually HUNwas the term for a German used by the Allies, not just the British, during WWI. The story is that German Kaiser Wilhelm II urged his troops to behave like the Huns of old in order to instill fear into the enemy. The name was further popularised when British soldiers discovered that Germans wore belt buckles with the words “Gott Mit Uns” (God is with us). - Well, maybe.

Ken G - February 28, 2002
Reply from Ken Greenwald (Fort Collins, CO - U.S.A.)
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Wed May 26, 2004 12:58 pm

Thanks ken!
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Wed May 26, 2004 1:56 pm

The Germans called their fatherland Teuschland not Deutschland, the latter came into vogue around the 1850s
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Wed May 26, 2004 2:10 pm

where does the word kaiser come from? it comes from germany but what lanquage did it orginate from?
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Wed May 26, 2004 2:25 pm

kaiser is the german version of caesar a roman name that came to mean something like king although the romans did not like to call anyone king (Rex in latin). they instead took the name of one of their greatest leaders, julius caesar, and elevated it to its current use. same for the russian word czar.
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Archived Reply » Wed May 26, 2004 2:53 pm

the German word "kaiser," like the Russian word "tsar" or "czar," originates from the Latin "caesar"
Reply from ( - )
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC