aptronym / aptonym / euonym / charactonym / label name

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Re: aptronym / aptonym / euonym / charactonym / label name

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:46 am

Amadeus had a global outage which affects all clients worldwide," Ms Blank said, before conceding the leap second had been mentioned as the reason.
WoZ on the outer
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by elview » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:40 am

marie26 wrote:Only wish his first name was John or Richard instead of Tom ;)
AH! Marie, you got a good hearty chuckle out of me!
Post actions:
Signature: elview
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~ Winston Churchill

Post by Ken Greenwald » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:38 am

aaa
For those who don’t watch television, listen to the radio, read newspapers, or go online, an American politician, former U.S. Congressman from New York City (who stepped down in disgrace), and now New York City mayoral candidate has been involved in two sexual scandals related to sexting, or sending explicit sexual material by cell phone (see Wikipedia for the details).

Well, his name gets my vote for aptonym of the year (or beyond). The crown jewels of his resume are the pictures he texted of his, his, . . . private parts. Let’s hear it for Anthony Weiner who, unbelievably, is still running for mayor!

Ken – July 27, 2013
Post actions:

Post by elview » Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:03 am

Oh, yes, Anthony Weiner and his sexting got a lot of laughs from this household!
Post actions:
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~ Winston Churchill

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:52 pm

It took me a little while to see the joke because we don't have Weiners of either variety here. And to be truthful, although I know there is a sausage called a weiner I have no idea what makes it one.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by elview » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:29 pm

HAHAHA Bob, slang terms for all kinds of things in other countries are fun to learn. When I was in college taking French, I wrote a skit about a girl with car trouble and one of the lines was about a man who stopped to help and he "looked under the bonnet", what we'd call the hood in the USA. The native French assistants cracked up. It seems that looking under the bonnet was a slang term for something sexual in France, like checking the lady out. They wouldn't tell me outright because they thought I was too young to know.
Post actions:

Post by Ken Greenwald » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:52 pm

<2014 “‘For the first time anywhere, we've gotten more energy out of the fuel than what was put into the fuel’ when using this technique, said Omar Hurricane, physicist at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory and lead author of the study, published Wednesday in the journal Nature. . . ‘Mother Nature doesn't like putting a lot of energy in small volumes, so she fights you on it,’ Dr. Hurricane said. ‘This is a way of fighting back.’”—The Wall Street Journal Online, 12 February>

AN APTONYM THAT WASN'T / AN OPPORTUNITY MISSED

Omar’s father had put pressure on his son to become a meteorologist – he said it was the boy’s destiny! However, his mother, in a categorical denial, claimed “enough is enough” and she prevailed as she had when her husband had wanted to name their son Albert. And so, Omar Hurricane went on to a distinguished career in physics depriving untold numbers of a major chuckle. Speaking of which, for a long time there were those who harbored hopes that Omar would join the military as a commissioned officer, but that was not to be. However, his father took comfort in the fact that, inevitably, there would someday be a hurricane Omar.

Ken – February 12, 2014
Post actions:

tis belongs elsewhere

Post by Wizard of Oz » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:33 pm

.. I know this belongs somewhere else but I couldn't remember what they are called when a person has a name connected to what they do .. but I do know that Erik or Phil will move it to the correct place ..

..brett is short for brettanomyces a particularly bad yeast that is the bane of the wine world .. you can recognise it by its barnyard, cow pie, horsey, mousy, pungent, stable, metallic or Band-Aid aromas .. in short it can be an unwelcome surprise when you open your $100 bottle of wine .. so imagine my surprise when I found that Brett Wine has a facebook page ..
Brett Wine | Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/brett.wine.5‎
Join Facebook to connect with Brett Wine and others you may know.
.. hope he doesn't work in the wine industry ..

WoZ who prefers brettless wine .. except for maybe a good Bordeaux
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Re: tis belongs elsewhere

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:42 pm

Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Ken Greenwald » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:18 am

aaa
Not quite an aptonym, but noteworthy nonetheless:
<“After successfully making its way through the challenges of recent years, Mayo Clinic is ‘ready to play offense,’ Mayo Clinic Chief Executive Officer and President John Noseworthy told a crowd of about 200 at its annual community breakfast this morning.”—PostBulletin.com (Rochester, Minnesota), 23 April.>
It should be noted that many attribute much of Noseworthy’s prefessional success (after an unnoteworthy start) to a certain piece of plastic surgery he elected to undergo -- a good career move!

Ken G – April 23, 2015
Post actions:

End of topic.