Temporary friend

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Temporary friend

Post by tony h » Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:21 pm

Is there a word, or phrase, that describes the temporary friend (not amorous) that you make, by virtue of a delightful conversation, but cannot last more than a short time because you will continue on your journey and not see each other again. The last time I had this occurrence was in the recovery room after an operation. Our discussion centred on William Harvey. He was the discoverer of the blood circulatory system and continued through the mathematics of Isaac Newton to the design of turbine fans.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Re: Temporary friend

Post by trolley » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:51 pm

I can't think of an appropriate term for such a person. I know exactly what you mean, and I've have been fortunate enough to meet a few of those people in my life, but I'm not sure they were "friends"...except the ones that still are.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by BonnieL » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:10 pm

Delightful memory, perhaps? I have a few of those. Can't remember the names - if I ever knew them - but the encounters were memorable.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:17 pm

Thank you.
At the moment I am thinking of using "fleeting friendship". However it seems to suggest that the friendship was fleeting whereas the the friendship has not decayed , it is time that has run out. Maybe a "glimpse of friendship".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:33 am

Does aquaintance fit the bill? I often speak of having, acquaintances, friends and mates. The acquaintance is just that, a person who you have met briefly and had social intercourse with at say, a party or a workshop, but who you fully expect to never meet again.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Phil White » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:38 pm

Surely "acquaintance" references the depth of the relationship rather than the frequency. If I am a member of, for instance, a church, a political party or a walking club, there are many people that I meet frequently and possibly interact with quite often, but with whom I have no significant relationship.

I think Tony is getting at the idea of a person with whom you immediately hit it off and whose company you thoroughly enjoy, but whom you are only likely to meet once or for a limited period of time.

But I suppose "acquaintance" is as good as any single word we might have. Otherwise, it might be possible to use something like "fellow patient".
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC