Coffin

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Coffin

Post by tony h » Fri Aug 27, 2021 8:09 pm

I am well used to a coffin being the wooden box into which a corpse is placed. What came as new to me today was the use of coffin in cookery. Looking at Gervase Markham's English Huswife he describes recipes which imply the coffin is a pastry case for cooked meats or fruit. The pastry case is probably in the form of a hotwater crust used on pork pies or of a type used for a pate.

Take Calues feete well boyld, and picke all the meate from the bones: then being cold shred it as small as you can, then season it with cloues and mace, and put in good store of currants, raysins and prunes: then put it into the coffin with good store of sweete butter, then breake in whole sticks of cinamon, and a nutmeg slic't into foure quarters, and season it before with salt: then close vp the coffin, and onely leaue a vent-hole. When it is bak't, draw it, and at the vent-hole put in the same liquor you did in the Ling-pie, and trim the lid after the same man∣ner, and so serue it vp

The date for this somewhere around 1560 to 1730

A pate, or in modern parlance, pate en croute
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Re: Coffin

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:19 pm

I never knew that. I wonder if it relates to the shape, and in that case which came first?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by trolley » Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:03 pm

I hope it relates to the shape and not to the idea of a container filled with meat :o
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by BonnieL » Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:30 pm

trolley wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:03 pm I hope it relates to the shape and not to the idea of a container filled with meat :o
It refers to the pie crust that holds the contents, which could be meat, fish, or vegetables. The shape doesn't matter. This is one of the rare times I actually know about the subject. I like to read about food history. :D
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by tony h » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:23 pm

BonnieL wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:30 pm
trolley wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:03 pm I hope it relates to the shape and not to the idea of a container filled with meat :o
It refers to the pie crust that holds the contents, which could be meat, fish, or vegetables. The shape doesn't matter. This is one of the rare times I actually know about the subject. I like to read about food history. :D
Is there more to tell? Do you know when it went out of use and what replaced it? I am assuming it became "en croûte" with the Frenchifying of English English.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by BonnieL » Sun Aug 29, 2021 3:59 pm

Unfortunately, my memory isn't that good!
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC