Chapter

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Chapter

Post by Bobinwales » Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:36 pm

My apologies if this question has been asked before, I did have a look but couldn't see anything.
Does anyone know the origin of the word, "chapter" when referring to Hell's Angels?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Re: Chapter

Post by trolley » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:24 pm

In the same way that a chapter refers to an individual section in a book, chapters also are used to describe local branches of a club or similar organization.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Bobinwales » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:28 pm

trolley wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:24 pm In the same way that a chapter refers to an individual section in a book, chapters also are used to describe local branches of a club or similar organization.
Does that mean that the term was in use before the advent of Hell's Angels John? I have only heard the expression used about them on this side of the Pond.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Bob in Wales

Post by trolley » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:57 pm

Yes, I'm pretty sure it was. I (think) I've always known it as another word for a branch of a group or order. I thought the Masons, Shriners, Odd Fellows used "chapter" to describe the individual local lodges.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Phil White » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:38 pm

Sorry, Bob. Missed this one. Try this from the Online Etymology Dictionary:
Sense of "local branch of a society or organization" (1815) is from the Church sense "body of the canons of a cathedral or collegiate church, members of a religious order" (late 14c.), which seems to trace to the convocations of canons at cathedral churches, during which the rules of the order by chapter, or a chapter (capitulum) of Scripture, were read aloud to the assembled.
https://www.etymonline.com/search?q=chapter
Etymonline.com is a remarkable site. It is the work of one person and the information is gleaned and brought together from many sources. It's always my first port of call for anything etymological.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:27 pm

Thank you Phil for the reply and the advice.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Bob in Wales

Post by tony h » Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:34 pm

from the OED

a. A duly constituted general meeting or assembly of the canons of a collegiate or cathedral church, of the members of any monastic or religious order, or of an order of knights, for consultation and transaction of the affairs of their order.
[‘From the last-mentioned usage (the capitula of a monastic rule) coupled with the practice of reading a capitulum or chapter of the Rule, or (as was St. Augustine's practice) of the Scriptures, to the assembled canons or monks, the assembled canons or monks themselves came to be called in a body the capitulum or chapter, and their meeting-place the chapter-house.’ Dict. Christian Antiq. I. 288/1; cf. Du Cange and Littré. More exactly the name chapter was first transferred to the meeting, and then to those who met. The transference was easy through such expressions as ire or convenire ad capitulum, to go to (the reading of) the capitle or chapter, thus to the meeting.]
[11.. Anglo-Saxon Chron. anno 1123 Hi hæfden cosen ærcebiscop æror in here capitele æfter rihte.]
1297 R. Gloucester's Chron. (1724) 473 Ȝuf eni play to chapitle were idrawe.
1303 R. Mannyng Handlyng Synne 7837 Þat grete chapytyl [of devils].
c1325 Poem on Edw. II 193 in Pol. Songs (1839) 332 Officials and denes that chapitles sholden holde.
?1456 J. Brackley in Paston Lett. & Papers (2004) II. 154 To compleyn vp-on me at the next chapitle.
c1305 St. Edmund 435 in Early Eng. Poems & Lives Saints (1862) 82 Þe chapitre of salesbury amorwe was plener; Alle þe Canouns of þe queor þer come fur & ner, To consailli him of þisse þinge.
138. J. Wyclif Wks. (1880) 43 Þe chesynge of his successour be maad of mynistris prouincial & custodis in þe chapitre of witsontide.
1487 (▸a1380) J. Barbour Bruce (St. John's Cambr.) xvii. 589 That bargane callit was ‘The chaptour [1489 Adv. chaptur] of mytoune’; for thare Slayn sa mony prestis ware.
1562 G. Legh Accedens of Armory (1597) 77 He ordained that al the kings of armes, should keepe their Chapiters once euery quarter of the yere.
1679 M. Prance True Narr. Popish Plot 36 There being a Chapter (as they call it, that is, a General Convention) of Friars held in Somerset-House.
1681 London Gaz. No. 1606/4 This morning was held a Chapter of the most Noble Order of the Garter.
1707 London Gaz. No. 4300/2 The King of Prussia held a Chapter of the Order of the Black Eagle.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:32 pm

Many thanks Tony. I am amazed.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Bob in Wales

Post by tony h » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:39 pm

Glad to help.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS
Signature: tony

I'm puzzled therefore I think.

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC