2018 Word of the Year

Discuss word origins and meanings.

2018 Word of the Year

Post by Ken Greenwald » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:39 am

Based on the number of look-ups on their online websites the following dictionaries came up with their Word of Year .
<Merriam-Webster’s 2018 Word of the Year is ”justice,” which saw a 74% increase in look-ups from 2017. The dictionary noted that the Mueller investigation led to frequent headlines about the Justice Department, while Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination to become Supreme Court justice also transfixed the country. More broadly, “The concept of justice was at the center of many of our national debates in the past year: racial justice, social justice, criminal justice, economic justice.”

Other dictionaries have also picked their Word of the Year:

Oxford Dictionaries: “toxic” (used to describe health hazards but also rhetoric, masculinity, and workplace environments)

Dictionary.com: "misinformation" (the unwitting spread of fake news and falsehoods)

Cambridge Dictionary: “nomophobia” (fear of being away from one’s cellphone, i.e., no-mobile phobia)

As reported by Fareed Zakaria in his December 17, 2018 Fareed's Global Briefing [CNN]>

Ken Greenwald – December 17, 2018
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Re: 2018 Word of the Year

Post by trolley » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:33 am

What are they building, in there?
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:25 pm

Lord give us wisdom by which we differentiate between mis- and disinformation.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:19 pm

gdwdwrkr wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:25 pm
Lord give us wisdom by which we differentiate between mis- and disinformation.
If misinformation is the dissemination of fake news and falsehoods by people who believe them to be accurate, then disinformation is the dissemination of fake news and falsehoods by people who know they are untrue.

(From the perspective of a person consuming either type of false information, more often than not this amounts to a distinction without a difference.)

That's my take on it, anyway.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

Post by gdwdwrkr » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:10 pm

That's how I see it.
ACCESS_POST_ACTIONS

ACCESS_END_OF_TOPIC