Desert - being deserving of reward or punishment

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Desert - being deserving of reward or punishment

Post by tony h » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:00 am

In the book I am reading the author states "Desert - is the socially constructed quality of being deserving of reward or punishment. The word is related to deserve." I am not sure whether this is coined or whether he is stating a accepted usage. It isn't a meaning that I remember seeing before and my dictionaries are packed away while some work is being done.

An example usage from the book: "Or, desert can be about rewards: "He deserves a raise" means that he did something that accumulated desert points in a mythical balance sheet, and that giving him more money would settle that balance."
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Re: Desert - being deserving of reward or punishment

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:52 am

I've only ever encountered that word in the sense being applied here in the context of the collocation 'just [= merited or justified] deserts', where the noun is pluralized.

If a friend commented that "Horst has received his desert for what he did" it would sound quite outlandish to me — not least because I don't actually know anybody called Horst.

There's obviously plenty of scope for confusion with
dessERT (= a category of food dish) and its plural dessERTS, vs.

DESert (= arid wilderness) and its plural DESerts, vs.

desERTS (= merited consequence).
Having never encountered it until I read it in your posting, Tony, I don't consider the singular form of the last-named noun as being valid in terms of my own usage. Maybe it exists in some people's idiolects, but it isn't the standard usage, and it's therefore also vanishingly rare.
Post actions:

Re: Desert - being deserving of reward or punishment

Post by tony h » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:48 pm

Erik_Kowal wrote:just deserts
A good point you make there.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

End of topic.