IRISH TWINS

Discuss word origins and meanings.

IRISH TWINS

Post by trolley » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:06 pm

Here’s my latest “never heard that one” learning experience. I came across the expression while reading someone’s blog. The writer mentioned that he was the father of “Irish twins”. Coming from a big Irish family, I was a little surprised that I didn’t know what this meant. Irish twins are siblings who were born less than 12 months apart. Yes, of course. There are Irish twins in my family and I knew lots of kids who were Irish twins…a result of the Catholic Church’s stance on birth control. I thought it was an apt and humorous expression. Some definitions claim that the expression is derogatory and offensive to the Irish. I’ll consider my audience before I use the expression…but it’s too good to just lock away in the “PC Vault".
Post actions:

Re: IRISH TWINS

Post by donna » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:56 pm

Actually, twins born "12 months apart" are "slow twins". Irish twins are 2 siblings who are born in the SAME calendar year! For example, Baby Johnny was born in January, 2015 and not using birth control like good Irish Catholics might not, his mother got pregnant within a couple of months of his birth, thus his sister Janey was born in, say, November of 2015. Irish Twins, same calendar year.
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:13 pm

Hi Donna. If you look around the definitions of Irish twins you will find it is an either/or kind of thing. Whilst what you say is correct, what trolley says is also true. The important thing is the time space between the births. When you think of it why should those children who are born in the first 3 months of the year be the only ones allowed to have an Irish twin? When you read about true life experiences it is amazing how quickly some women became pregnant after giving birth. With premature second birth the time difference can be under 9 months.

WoZ counting the days and weeks and months
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by tony h » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:32 pm

At my children's school there were three born of one mother with only seven months between them; a standard birth and twins three months early.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:12 am

When I placed this idea on a facebook group I belong to one of the women suggested that she had Irish Quads. She gave birth to two sets of twins within 11 months. Joy oh bloody joy.

WoZ in pity her mode
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

End of topic.