Leguminous

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Leguminous

Post by Phil White » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:39 pm

The colour of the lower limbs of athletes who compete in Olympic diving competitions?
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Re: Leguminous

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:02 pm

My last house had a pool which I sanitized with Baquacil, a germicide based on polyhexanide (polyhexamethylene biguanide). One year, early on in the life of the pool, we employed a company to get the pool going again after it had been closed down for the winter, and they stupidly added sodium hypochlorite powder to the water despite having been informed that we did not use chlorine-based sanitizers. This turned it bright green, and it stayed that way until the company responsible put something else in the water to neutralize the chlorine.

I'm not saying that this is what happened in the Olympic pool, but going by my experience, it is possible that some kind of chemical imbalance in the water has caused its greenness.
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:16 pm

Here in Aus we have green billabongs and the like and it is caused by an algae that is poisonous if too much is swallowed. That is what it reminded me of. I flinched when I saw some of the rowers and kayakers end up in the water at the finish. And the poor open water swimmers.

WoZ eating water purifier tablets
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Ken Greenwald » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:20 pm

Phil, I like your very inventive 'leguminous' -- much more colorful than just plan old 'greenish.'

Ken Greenwald - September 1, 2016
Post actions:

End of topic.