Where can I do Background check?

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Where can I do Background check?

Post by legopetrot » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:25 am

Hello. Tell me where can I do background check in Chautauqua alongside with New York?
Post actions:

Re: Where can I do Background check?

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Jul 23, 2016 3:15 pm

Sorry, this isn't a forum for answering that type of question. The strapline of the Wordwizard site is 'For lovers of the English language'.
Post actions:

Post by BonnieL » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:56 pm

Erik_Kowal wrote:The strapline of the Wordwizard site is 'For lovers of the English language'.
New UK/US word choice difference! Here we say "tagline." :)

Over the years I've noticed that those little differences can trip up fiction writers. I'm more apt to notice the errors in a British book that has American characters, but I'm sure it goes the other way, too. I still remember an author who forgot to check her map before putting her characters in Washington, D.C. She had them visit the Washington Mall (the National Mall) & put it in Seattle. I don't think she realized that Seattle, Washington & Washington D.C. are 3000 miles apart!

Tho having two Washingtons is confusing for Americans, too. We're the only state that has to append the word "state" to the name. If people would remember to add D.C. to our national capital, it wouldn't be a problem.
Post actions:

Post by tony h » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:55 am

BonnieL I know what you mean. In America they all seem to want to fly from New York to California when anyone in England knows it is only an hour and a half by car.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:22 pm

An hour and ten if you really put your foot down.
Post actions:

End of topic.