BESCUMBERED

Discuss word origins and meanings.

BESCUMBERED

Post by trolley » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:03 am

Well, there's my new word of the day. I learnt this gem while taking a vocabulary quizz.
Bescumbered:
splattered with excrement

Apparently, the usage is obsolete. I guess people aren't chucking shit around as much as they use to. I'm not really sure when this word may come in handy but...there you go. Feel free to use it, should the need arise.
Post actions:

Re: BESCUMBERED

Post by Erik_Kowal » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:26 am

Livestock farmers are one obvious group of potential 'takers' for that term.

But if it sounds too obscure to be readily revivable, one could always invent something with a livelier feel — for instance, 'beshatted', 'becrapped', 'dungflung', 'shitsprayed' or 'turdshotten'.
Post actions:

Post by Phil White » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:25 am

What a delightful word!
trolley wrote:I guess people aren't chucking shit around as much as they used to.
Oh, I wouldn't say that. I reckon that the word could well catch on again in the UK over the next months.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by tony h » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:05 pm

How did the meeting go?
"Bescumbered", said Boris.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Phil White » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:29 pm

Thanks Tony, that has brightened up my day.
Post actions:
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:55 am

Australia votes today in a Federal election so one might think that the months of bescumbering reached its climax yesterday in one final attempt to bescumber the opposition. Of course when parliament resumes there will be a whole new round of bescumbering with fresh excrement being available and hopefully new targets to become bescumbered.

WoZ who has bescumbered in the past
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by BonnieL » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:42 am

Erik_Kowal wrote:Livestock farmers are one obvious group of potential 'takers' for that term.
Being an animal owner, I've been bescumbered a few times. I'll have to remember this word!
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:18 pm

Phil White wrote:What a delightful word!
trolley wrote:I guess people aren't chucking shit around as much as they used to.
Oh, I wouldn't say that. I reckon that the word could well catch on again in the UK over the next months.
Plenty of bescumbering is taking place in the Labour Party today. Even as I write, its NEC is meeting to decide whether Jeremy Corbyn has to meet the same criteria for running as Angela Eagle, his challenger for the leadership of his party.

We'll just have to wait and see who comes out of the meeting with the most shit on their face...
Post actions:

Post by Phil White » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:40 pm

I live in Angela Eagle's constituency. The place is crawling with cameras and journalists eager to scoop up more shovelfuls to join the fray. It is disheartening.
Post actions:
Non sum felix lepus

Post by tony h » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:55 am

tony h wrote:How did the meeting go?
"Bescumbered", said Boris.
"But it brushes off", said Boris.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Phil White » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:37 am

A man of great subtlety in a job that requires great tact and diplomacy:
http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/05/bo ... mpetition/
Post actions:
Non sum felix lepus

End of topic.