Spam

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Spam

Post by trolley » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:02 pm

I was watching a trivia program today and they stated that "spam" ( unsolicited email) was named after the Monty Python skit. Am I the only person in the world who didn't realize this? I was sure that it was an acronym...that I never bothered to figure out!
Post actions:

Re: Spam

Post by Bobinwales » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:57 pm

What? THIS sketch? I never knew that either.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Wizard of Oz » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:58 pm

I know the "Spam" skit but not that it was the etymological epicentre of that other dread word. But here you go
Etymologyonline:
In the sense of "Internet junk mail" it was coined by Usenet users after March 31, 1993, when Usenet administrator Richard Depew inadvertently posted the same message 200 times to a discussion group. The term had been used in online text games, and ultimately it is from a 1970 sketch on the British TV show "Monty Python's Flying Circus" wherein a reading of a restaurant's menu devolves into endless repetitions of "spam."
Well I never.

WoZ returning a sleeping parrot
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by BonnieL » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:19 pm

I like that skit but never knew that was the source for spam. Always thought it was because so many people are vocal about not liking the food Spam.
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:52 am

Believe it or not, in South Korea spam is regarded as a delicacy.
Post actions:

Post by trolley » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:22 pm

I actually don't mind it, now and again. I ate a lot of the Canadian version (Prem) when I was growing up. Still love bully beef...and I've got the scars on my fingers to prove it. Those cans are dangerous!
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:25 am

My Father was the bully beef king. He loved the stuff. Probably a taste left over from his Army rations of WWII. He used to buy the tins with the angled sides where the two ends were different sizes. A key fitted to a tab wound around the larger end and cut it off.

I did enjoy it on sandwiches but not as much as the real corned beef my Mummy used to cook.

WoZ the carnivore
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Erik_Kowal » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:58 am

I haven't eaten spam for many years. But I rather liked it the last time I had it, flavoured with the blood from my thumb.
Post actions:

End of topic.