grass me up

Discuss word origins and meanings.

grass me up

Post by Ken Greenwald » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:13 pm

aaa
<2013 “‘Are we going to get in trouble?’ ‘Only if you grass me up Cross and Burn by Val McdDermid, page 97>

CASSELL’S DICTIONARY OF SLANG

GRASS (also GRASS SOMEONE UP) [1930s and still in use]: To inform, to tell tales, to betray.

OXFORD DICTIONARIES

GRASS British informal: Inform (or one who informs) the police of someone’s criminal activities or plans; a police informer [Perhaps related to the 19th-century rhyming slang grasshopper 'copper'] [[I like it!]]
Someone had grassed on the thieves.

Examples:

She threatened to grass me up.
To find out who grassed on him read the rest of the review.
Somebody must be proud of having grassed on her.

The following quotes are from archived sources:
<1997 “‘What? Who says I've got a habit? You're trying to grass me up. It's too early in the day to do any of that.’ White has repeatedly denied taking drugs”—Sunday Mirror (London). 16 February>

<2007 “It will act more as a deterrent, the fear of whether my mate will grass me up.”—Daily Mail (London), 3 February>

<2009 “Hickman instinctively put up his arm to protect himself and he was hit with the sword by Hales who told him: ‘If you grass me up I will kill you.’”— Birmingham Mail (England), 3 November>

<2012 “These days Jesse’s old enough to grass me up to Angela.”—The Mirror (London), 30 March>

<2015 “‘No one does that. Grass me up and your dead, Danny-Boy.’”—Skarrs by Cathetine Forde>

Ken G – January 10, 2016 (Grass me up in Colorado – it’s legal)
Post actions:

Re: grass me up

Post by Phil White » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:48 pm

Ken, does the fact that you posted this indicate that the US variant of English is massively impoverished by the lack of "grass someone up"?
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Ken Greenwald » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:21 pm

aaa
Phil, British book, dictionary says British informal, never heard it, so I guess the US is impoverished with the phrase but not with variants such as 'call the police, 'inform on', 'betray,'etc.

Ken — January 10, 2016
Post actions:

Post by Phil White » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:26 pm

Surprises me. I would have guessed that we stole it from you.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:28 pm

...Drop a dime (on), snitch, tattle, rat (out)...
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:05 pm

"Dob in", "blow the whistle" are a couple more.

WoZ the snitch
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by trolley » Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:12 pm

...narc (on), finger, roll over (on)...
Post actions:

End of topic.