sack or sac?

Discuss word origins and meanings.

sack or sac?

Post by lousanders » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:00 am

Which would you go with – "sack" or "sac" – when describing the testicles?

Example:

The fighter was punched in the sac/sack.

Thank you.
Post actions:

Re: sack or sac?

Post by Erik_Kowal » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:02 am

Sac is the spelling usually used in the biosciences ('yolk sac', 'amniotic sac'), whereas sack is the general-purpose spelling for a bag-like container.

In the case in point, the sac(k) in question is the scrotum (a biological structure, obviously), but the context is not a scientific or technical one. In addition, I would argue that many people hearing the sentence spoken would interpret 'sack' as a shortened form of the slang term 'nutsack' (rather than 'scrotal sac'), which further removes it from the realm of scientific jargon. So here I would definitely prefer 'sack'.
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:25 am

Lou it's sack for me too. But then I prefer ballbag. Or is it ball-bag? Sack and sac both appear in the Urban Dictionary that learned tome of street language.

WoZ
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by lousanders » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:17 pm

Thanks, guys.

Figuring out the correct spelling was driving me "nuts". Hope I didn't sound " testy". :-)
Post actions:

Post by Phil White » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:20 pm

Ah, full circle. Drawstring bag, ball bag, scrotum... I thought the pictures Steven posted reminded me of something...
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

End of topic.