<2015 “Skanky suicide bomber used to be a selfie-taking party animal [[reads the headline at the New York Post]]. . . She was hardly a model Muslim before she became an ISIS suicide bomber — drinking booze, hanging out with drug dealers and posing for naked photos in a bubble bath.”—NewYorkpost.com, 20 November>
CAMBRIDGE DICTIONARIES ONLINE
SKANKY adjective, UK, US informal (origin unknown)
1) extremely unpleasant, especially because of being dirty:
<I found a pair of his skanky underpants on the floor.>
2) US: Of low quality or not stylish like something that a skank would wear: <I wouldn't be caught dead in that skanky outfit!> [[It would have been nice if they had defined the pertinent skank]]
SKANK noun Slang [origin unknown]
1) One who is filthy or foul.
2) One who is considered to be sexually promiscuous. Used especially of a woman.
3) Any substance considered disgustingly foul or unpleasant.
Here’s one recent example:
Since the quote appeared on the front page of the New York Post, I would assume the word skanky is common knowledge, at least in New York City. My best guess for a decent definition would be a “sleazy playgirl.”<2008 “East side [[Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada]] girls are seen as ‘cheap,’ ‘trashy,’ and ‘skanky’ by some students in the west side schools. . . . But one other range of style deserves mention here as it infiltrated almost every discussion I had with girls: dressing ‘skanky.’ To say a girl was dressed like a skank was to say that she was showing ‘too much skin’ and—more importantly—that she was showing it in the wrong way. Though only one girl articulated her own ‘skankiness’ to me it was a common insult leveled at other girls, . . .”—Girls, Style, and School Identities – Dressing the Part by S. Pomerantz, pages 74 and 93>
Anyone familiar with this word? And I hope you're not familiar with 'shanky,' to my knowledge it is nonexistent. (>:)
Ken G – November 20, 2015