Aggressivity?

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Aggressivity?

Post by trolley » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:55 am

I was watching an MMA fight on TV when I heard the colour commentator compliment one of the fighters on his “aggressivity”. Ha ha! These sportscasters take a lot of liberties…but then:

From Collins:

aggressivity (ˌæɡrɛˈsɪvɪtɪ)
Definitions
noun
1. the state or quality of being aggressive

It’s ugly and I don’t plan on using it, but it’s nice to know that I can, if I need to (like when they delete “aggressiveness” from the language). Who said you can't teach an old dog?
Post actions:

Re: Aggressivity?

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:27 pm

Ken my only thought is that if anybody from the MMA wants me to use “aggressivity”, or any other word for that matter, I will not look him in the eye and happily repeat after him, "Yabber yabber yabber."

WoZ in the ocotgon
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Phil White » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:37 pm

Yes, ugly isn't it? I came across it a few years back and have never been able to discern whether there is a nuance of meaning not covered by "aggressiveness". I have half an inkling that "aggressiveness" reflects a personality trait and "aggressivity" reflects a single aggressive behaviour, and is usually used with a positive slant.

It is relatively common that an adjective has a couple of different nouns derived from it, but the complex around "aggressive", "aggression", "aggressiveness" and "aggressivity" is peculiar. A cursory glance at the etymology suggests that "aggression" came first, with the adjective "aggressive" deriving from it. This then spawned the two derived nouns "aggressiveness" and "aggressivity". The rare verb "aggress" appears to have been a back-formation from "aggression".

I've been spending a lot of time recently thinking about noun/verb/adjective complexes and derivational morphology. There is some bizarre stuff out there! I shall undoubtedly treat you all to the fruits of my thinking when I think I know what I think it is I may have thunk.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Wizard of Oz » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:32 am

Maybe even a fruit salad Phil. With a back formed creamy ice.

WoZ hungry as ever.
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

End of topic.