full stop

Discuss word origins and meanings.

full stop

Post by Ken Greenwald » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:17 pm

aaa
I was unfamiliar with this usage of this simple phrase as it appears in the following:
<2015 “Yet the biggest challenge to RNA sprays . . . isn’t going to come from regulators. The real problem can be summarized in a single word: Monsanto. ‘For half the world, that is enough to know it’s evil,’ he says. ‘Monsanto is introducing a new technology, full stop. But Mansanto is also the best way to make this real, For the scientifically literate, this is the dream molecule.’”—MIT Technology Review, Vol. 118, No 5, September/October>
I always took full stop to be the punctuation mark, period. But I found here that there is more to it than that. However, this definition appears in precious few dictionaries that I checked. Even the OED doesn’t discuss it.

CAMBRIDGE ONLINE DICTIONARY

FULL STOP adverb: Used at the end of a sentence, usually when you are angry, to say you will not continue to discuss a subject; period <Look, I’m not lending you my car, full stop!>

BREWER’S DICTIONARY OF MODERN PHRASE & FABLE

FULL STOP: And that’s that; there is no more to be said. A tag placed at the end of a sentence to indicate that further elaboration on a topic is unnecessary. The implication is that a final full stop has been written. ‘Period’ is used similarly in American English [[Ah, ha! So it’s British]] See also end of story. <Jeff Clark . . . said: ‘Road signs are put up by the relevant divisions. . . . Any other signs are illegal and have to be removed. We do not put advertising up, full stop>

The following quotes were gleaned from various archived sources:
<1988 “The spokesmen of the West Bank and Gaza rioters insist on independence, full stop.”—The Economist (U.S), 19 March>

<1995 “I debated at the Law Society, but I never spoke at the L&H. I would have been a barrister, but I can remember being warned when my father asked for advice on this ‘the bar is no place for a woman full stop’ and that unless one had family connections, girls did better as solicitors.”—The Irish Times (Dublin, Ireland)

<2002 “Certainly, personally I wish him all the luck and success. ‘Obviously, it's going to be difficult full stop. But we've done the hard work and we've got to finish things off. . .’” The Birmingham Post (England), 20 February>

<2008 “The point is the Government doesn't want to upset farmers, or supermarkets, or parents on low incomes, or parents full stop. It wants to be seen to be green but won't address the real, uncomfortable issues.”—Daily Mail on Sunday (Londin),16 March>

<2014 "But let me just make a very simple point here, and that is regardless of the circumstances, whatever those circumstances may turn out to be, we still get an American soldier back if he's held in captivity. Period. Full stop," Obama said, according to a transcript.”—Winnipeg Free Press, 14 June>

I don’t know how far back the use of full stop for ‘period’ (the punctuation mark) goes (or for the case at hand for that matter), but I did find an example for the punctuation mark - and I’m sure it goes back further than that. Interesting that it appeared in an American periodical!
<1805 "MISCELLANY OF PUNCTUATION, AND OTHER SIMILAR AIDS TO THE READER OF LITERARY, June 29, 1805, 5, 25; American periodicals.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
1st, find the principal verb and the substansive which governs it, and all which is governed by and connected with each, Form these into a sentence; That is, begin with a great letter, and end with a full stop.”>

Ken G – October 25, 2015
Post actions:

Re: full stop

Post by tony h » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:45 pm

The use of full stop to mean a substantial, possibly permanent end, I would have expected to be common.

Typically is the phrase: come/came to a full stop - which I would have thought was commonplace. Thus to signify an end of discussion with "full stop" is often used to indicate "that's my last word on the matter".

Similar to (I believe) to the American use of "period".

I am tempted to note that in England, amongst our female friends, a period brings many things to a full stop. (Sorry ladies)

A bus on its way to a theme park came to a full stop as the driver tried to negotiate a Moorlands village country road last week.
Read more: http://www.leek-news.co.uk/Bus-gets-stu ... z3pbujSNRJ
Follow us: @leeknews on Twitter | LeekPostandTimes on Facebook

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/diction ... /full-stop
adverb used at the end of a ​sentence, usually when you are ​angry, to say you will not ​continue to ​discuss a ​subject:
Look, I'm not ​lending you my ​car, full stop!
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Post by Ken Greenwald » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:20 am

aaa
Tony, You're going to have to cut down on that speed reading. Your last Cambridge dictionary definition is my fist!

Ken — October 25, 2015 (who reads slow as molasses)
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:04 pm

Here is another one for your collection Ken.
BOB WILLIAMS, PONTARDAWE, YESTERDAY!

If you think that I am going to mow the lawn when I have a hangover, and it is chucking it down with rain you can think again! That is final! Full stop!"
Tony, the same could be said for Scotland, Ireland and Wales.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Phil White » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:45 pm

This use of "full stop" was more widespread than it is now. Many people over here have adopted the American "period" (but only in this meaning).
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:01 am

You can add Australia to Bob's list too. These are some examples I found but could not find anything earlier than 2004. Not saying that that is the beginning but just what my preliminary search turned up.
>Sydney Morning Herald-18 Dec 2004
"There are certain rules in place and Sydney will be abiding by those rules - full stop," he said.

>ABC Online-20 Nov 2005
TIM LEE: It's the day before the shearing on Yanga Station, east of Balranald. ... and sweating and carrying on we thought, "What the hell are we doing, full stop?

>Sydney Morning Herald-30 Mar 2006
I could forgive the car accident. I really could. But this was just dumb. My Australian upbringing meant you never went near an unknown snake. Ever. Full-stop.

>Sydney Morning Herald-2 Mar 2010
A spokesman for the South Australian Non-Government Schools Registration Board said it was not banning teaching of creationism full-stop. ''It can be taught in religious studies.''

>Sydney Morning Herald-19 Jul 2011
There is no place in Australia for sharia law, full stop,'' he said.

>The Conversation-12 Aug 2013
Tony Abbott {{Prime Minister}} is asking a lot of voters who have political memories when he asks them to take at face value his line that “the GST won't change, full stop”, end of story.

>Sydney Morning Herald-6 Jun 2014
I cannot make any comment about deliberations of a former government: period, full stop." (This one shows how multicultural we are as it uses both Amlish AND Britlish)

>Sydney Morning Herald-24 Jul 2014
"She's not part of our family, full stop." Ahmed told Macquarie Radio on Thursday.

>Telegraph.co.uk-25 Mar 2015
Australian TV star Ajay Rochester started the #DropThePlus movement last month when she wrote on Instagram: “I am a woman FULL STOP.
Ken I also found these US examples smattered in with the Aussie research.
>BBC News-6 Nov 2004
Pointing to talks with Tehran, Mr Straw said: "I don't see any circumstances in which military action would be justified against Iran, full stop." Mr Straw said (Note: Mr Straw is a US politician)

>Boston Globe (registration)-13 Aug 2005
Adams is the reason to see ''Junebug," period, full stop. (Both sides of the ditch used again.)

>IGN-3 Feb 2005
... (here in the US) to the brilliant Winning Eleven 8, Konami's series has brought the most realistic, deep and strategic soccer game to a home system, full stop.
WoZ, question mark
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

End of topic.