bogart

Discuss word origins and meanings.

bogart

Post by Ken Greenwald » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:10 pm

aaa
I read the following in a review of the movie – an uncomplimentary depiction of Apple founder: ‘Steve Jobs: Man in the Machine.”
“But Gibney, an Oscar winner, also paints Jobs as a miser, a bully, a tax fraud, and a man who routinely bogarted parking spaces reserved for the handicapped.”—The Week, 11 September, page 25
I see the word bogart occasionally and it seems to mean different things in different situations.

Jonathon Green, the original Wordwizard, wrote the following about this idiom:
Don't Bogart that joint
by Jonathon Green » Thu Feb 27, 1997 8:00 am

It is believed that the film star Humphrey Bogart had a tendency to hang on to a joint for longer than was deemed polite or justified by prevailing dope-smoker's etiquette. This is more apparent in the US, where one takes a hit on the joint and passes it on, but less so in the UK, where it is accepted that each toker can take three or four draws before the weed moves on.

Humphrey Bogart: Humphrey (DeForest). Nicknamed Bogie. 1899-1957, US film actor: his films include High Sierra (1941),Casablanca (1942), The Big Sleep (1946), The African Queen (1951), and The Caine Mutiny (1954)

FACTS ON FILE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF WORD AND PHRASE ORIGINS

DON’T BOGART THAT JOINT

In his films Humphrey Bogart often left cigarettes dangling from his mouth without smoking them. This led to the counterculture expression Don’t Bogart that joint; that is, “don’t take so long with, don’t hog, that stick of marijuana; smoke and pass it on to the next person.” The term became widely used after appearing in a song in the film Easy Rider [[1969]]. Among those who practice the long-standing, widespread habit of communally smoking marijuana cigarettes, bogarting is considered both selfish and a waste of the expensive weed. Bogart’s name, in the form ofBogard, also became inner- city slang for “to act tough in a forceful manner” in the 1950s, deriving from the tough-guy heroes Bogart portrayed.

When the word Bogart when solo it carried along with it several related meanings:

CASSELL’S DICTIONARY OF SLANG

BOGART (also Bogard)

Transitive verb

1) [1950s and still in use] (U.S. Black): To act aggressively, in a bullying manner; to coerce, bully, intimidate.

2) [1960s and still in use] To monopolize or keep something, to oneself selfishly, especially to monopolize or smoke much of a cannabis cigarette; to take or use most of; to hog.

3) [1970s and still in use] To waste time, to play around.

4) [1990s and still in use] (U.S. Campus) To leave.

5) [1990s and still in use] (U.S. teen) To steal.

6) [2000s] (U.S. campus) To take something with someone else’s knowledge but without their approval.

Noun

[1950s and still in use] (U.S. Black): A bully; thus pull a bogart, to act tough; jump bogart, to become aggressive.

The following quotes are from the Oxford English Dictionary and archived sources:
<1966 “Bogart, to injure or hurt, or to protect at the cost of violence.—High school male, Negro, Mid-Atlantic Coast (Washington, D.C.).—Them 'bama chukkers better not bogart us no more.”—Current Slang (University of South Dakota) 1 ii.

<1968 “Don't bogart that joint my friend. Pass it over to me.”—Don’t bogart that Joint (MS song lyrics) by E. Ingber & L. Wagner>

<1978 “Bullet Coach Dick Motta said the 76ers ‘were trying to come out and “bogart” us. They were trying to be intimidating.’”—Washington Post (D.C.), 4 May, page d1/1>

<1980 “The gorilla took a long hit and handed the joint to me . . . I accepted it graciously, without Bogarting, and passed it back to my friend.”—More Tales of the City by A. Maupin, page 24>

<1991 “While I ran out to reload the machines, someone had bogarted my table, the window booth next to the jukebox.”—Woman Hollering Creek by S. Cisneros, page 145>

<1993 “A lot of top dogs would have tried to bogart me back into the game.”—Hardball by D. Coyle, vi. i. page 288>

<1997 “I don't want anybody bogarting me.”—Esquire, March, page 58/1>

<2002 “At no time has the male-dominated sport of surfing been as popular with women as it is now. Even in South Florida, a place not renowned for massive waves, women are bogarting the beach, angling for their own space on the rolling water.”—Knight Ridder/Tribune News Service, 16 August>

<2007 “. . . a lot of good men of all colors got bogarted by a bunch who didn't deserve it.”—Baltimore Sun (Maryland), 25 January>

<2015 “. . . every business could easily afford to pay its employees better if only the greedy corporate bosses weren't bogarting all the big money for themselves.”—The Charleston Daily Mail (West Virginia), 22July>
If they had called Humphrey Bogart 'Hump' for short, just imagine the confusion that could have caused. (<:)

Ken Greenwald – September 23, 2015
Post actions:

Re: bogart

Post by trolley » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:27 pm

11.) Thou shalt not Bogart thy neighbour's wife.
Post actions:

Post by Ken Greenwald » Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:16 am

aaa
John, What if your neighboor's wife insists? Are there any loophholes?

Ken – September 23,2015
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:17 am

Sometimes god helps a potential sinner. On one side I have no wifely temptation and on the other, well a nice enough lady to get drunk with but after that?? God took temptation from my path.

WoZ worrying about the other nine.
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Madcom » Thu Oct 01, 2015 9:15 am

Is there any chance that "bogart" has converged with "boggart"? I love the Humphrey Bogart explanation but as I was reading it I kept thinking of the English folkloric boggart:

... being "a fae creature, in English folklore, known for its relentless mischief. It is part of a collection of 'bugbear' type spirits, which also include bogles, boogies and boogeymen. It is also considered to be related to brownies but is differentiated for being less helpful than a brownie and more malicious than a boogie." http://www.mythicalcreaturesguide.com/page/Boggart

And also from Online Etymological Dictionary on bogey ... "from bogge, a variant of Middle English bugge "a frightening specter" (see bug (n.)). Thus it shares ancestry with many dialect words, such as bog/bogge (attested 16c.-17c.), bogeyman (16c.), boggart "specter that haunts a gloomy spot" (c. 1570, in Westmoreland, Lancashire, Cheshire, and Yorkshire). The earliest modern form appears to be Scottish bogle "ghost," attested from c. 1500 and popularized c. 1800 in English literature by Scott, Burns, etc."

I like the idea of Steve Jobs as a bogeyman!
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:51 am

Hey Madcom an interesting connection for the original word. As we are told that our surnames were originally a reflection of our job or where we came from then maybe Humphrey Bogart's ancestors were boggarts?

WoZ tha bogle
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

End of topic.