Frequently Asked Questions

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Frequently Asked Questions

Post by Ken Greenwald » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:49 pm

aaa
Some questions are asked over and over again till it makes you want to gag or scream (not on Wordwizard, of course).

Here’s an infrequently asked question for you. What is the origin of the phrase ‘Frequently Asked Questions’ (FAQ)? I can recall when the phrase didn’t exist (1950s, 1960s, 1970s?) or at least I don’t remember seeing or hearing it that far back. But when it was born (±) I couldn’t say. This fun magazine, Mental Floss, which I just picked up for the first time, seems to deal in answering such weighty question as this in addition to interesting sundries and also a bit of heavier material. I can’t vouch for its reliability, but folks I’ve talked to think it’s fairly reputable.
Today’s popular FAQ format actually began at NASA. In 1983. Eugene Miya was tired of seeing the same old questions posed by new members of a pre-World Wide Web newsgroup. The excessive questions took up space on the mailing list’s servers and flooded users’ inboxes. To correct it, Miya started posting a monthly Frequently asked questions list to the group and thus the FAQ was born.[/Q]—Mental Floss September, 2015, page 36.
VOILÀ!

Ken Greenwald — August 8, 2015
Post actions:

Re: Frequently Asked Questions

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:28 am

Ken I love Mental Floss. I buy it as a subscription Christmas present for my godson. As you identify it is full of all kinds of floss to clean your mind with. Mental Floss is available on line. I think they are also on Facebook. Check out the T-shirt collection they are very funny and at times do require extra knowledge to understand the message.

WoZ flossing his brain
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Re: Frequently Asked Questions

Post by trolley » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:22 pm

I took me quite some time to figure out what FAQ actually meant, when I first saw it. I just lumped it in with all that other stuff like RAM, CPU AND GUI. I had some vague idea of what they meant, but didn't know what the letters stood for. One day I was on a site that actually had the link spelled out as "Frequently Asked Questions"

"FAQ me! That's what it means!"

Why wasn't that the first question on all those lists that I'd been viewing?
BTW...I love the Mental Floss web site. It's on my favourites list.
Post actions:

End of topic.