midi and softie

Discuss word origins and meanings.

midi and softie

Post by tony h » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:03 pm

What do the words midi and softie mean in Australia, they are something you can order in a bar.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

Re: midi and softie

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:42 am

.. hi Tony .. a middy is a glass size for beer and is used in New South Wales, ACT and Western Australia .. it is 285 ml (10 fl oz) .. in other States the same size will be called various names >>

>> it is called a pot in Victoria and Queensland
>> it is called a handle in Northern Territory
>> it is called a schooner in Tasmania and South Australia .. this creates confusion for interstate drinkers because in other states if you ordered a schooner you would expect to be served a larger beer, 450ml (15 fl oz) ..

.. an interesting development in glass sizes in NSW is the advent of the schmiddy/schmiddie which is half way between a middy and a schooner .. this is viewed by the average drinker as simply being a way for publicans to make more money by downsizing the traditional schooner glass ..

.. have a look here for glass sizes ..

.. now to softie .. no it is not referring to a type of person although if one drank softies all the time the name might stick .. a softie is a slang term for a soft drink such as lemonade, coke, Fanta, ginger beer or any other commercial non-alcoholic aerated drink .. often the designated driver will drink softies while his mates indulge .. I think in some countries this would be called a soda ..

WoZ going for a schooner
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:20 am

Only the one WoZ? I still fondly remember the Albion. I didn't notice them being sold singly when you took me there!
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:05 am

.. ah but Bob the Albion is an unusual pub .. it has a policy that if your foot is touching the ground you are required to buy a beer .. some try to beat it by sitting on stools but alas when they slide off to go home their foot touches the ground and ... well you have to abide by pub rules ..

WoZ having a tasting paddle
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Bobinwales » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:27 pm

Indeed WoZ, I do remember how difficult it was to get out of THERE!
Post actions:
Bob in Wales

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:16 am

Bobinwales wrote:...I do remember how difficult it was to get out of THERE!
I notice the presence of a paddle, so it can't be any kind of creek.
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:56 am

.. great memory Bob .. unfortunately the pub changed hands and the first thing the new publican did was put on tap all the company made beers and ditch the boutique beers .. but not to worry there are now others pubs to go to for paddle tastings .. yahoooo ..........

WoZ wanting to be in Wales
Last edited by Wizard of Oz on Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:10 am

.. Erik you may notice that the paddle has holes in it so very hard to paddle anywhere .. even if there was a creek ..

WoZ uptha creek
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:48 am

Wizard of Oz wrote:the first thing the new publican did was put on tap all the company made beers and ditch the boutique beers
Why on earth would he do that? Go in there and tell him that all the people that Bob has been telling about the place will now have to be contacted and told to go elsewhere! Shame.
Post actions:
Bob in Wales

Post by tony h » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:17 am

Thanks WoZ.

I do remember on a visit that ordering beer seemed over complicated.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

End of topic.