Shirtfront

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Shirtfront

Post by Bobinwales » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:54 am

I think THIS is something that WoZ should comment on.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Re: Shirtfront

Post by Wizard of Oz » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:16 pm

.. Bob the main thing about Abbott's original statement was that a very small minority, probably approaching zero, of people are aware of the "political" meaning of shirt-front .. to the majority of Aussies a shirtfront is a rather brutal tackle, or shepherd, employed in Aussie Rules (AFL) .. it is very similar to the shoulder charge tackle that is banned in Rugby .. to get the idea check these .. of even greater interest is that a majority of New South Welshmen and Queenslanders would not even be familiar with the term being as it is a football tackle/shepherd used in Aussie Rules (AFL) ..

.. in the Victorian press, where Aussie Rules is king, the term has been expanded, and understood, to a generalised idea of a robust verbal assault on someone or something, generally to do with AFL ..
THE AUSTRALIAN, FEBRUARY 21, 2009. Shirt front to AFL's credibility
THE AFL will not admit it, of course, but yesterday's decision to overturn the four-match ban given to Nick Maxwell is a shirt front of great force to its credibility.

SBS News, Sep 15, 2014.
North Melbourne great Wayne Carey has delivered a verbal shirtfront to the AFL's match review panel, labelling Brent Harvey's one-week ban a disgrace.

The NewDaily, Sep 19, 2014
Legal shirtfront flattens Hird, Bombers. ((headline))
.. another interesting point was the way the term immediately spread within the word impoverished press hacks ..

.. found this when I was researching and think it might be of interest .. it is Aussie Rules slang terms ..

WoZ who has played at rep level
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:15 pm

Thanks WoZ, very edifying I must say. I would also say that I would not want to be on the receiving end of one of those tackles. But then, I used to wince playing touch-rugby or blow football.
Post actions:
Bob in Wales

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:42 am

.. Bob I notice that the crowd rose as one at Millennium as the Scarlets gave the 'Boks a lesson .. ok so it was only 12-6 but a win to be cherished .. at gym there is a japie who has excused all of the 'Boks games this northern season as being "just an end of season trip", "they don't take it serious" ..

.. our lot played like non-events again .. excuses are gone they are just a very poor team .. this is reflected in our international ranking which is the lowest ever ..

WoZ singing Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau .. well humming it ..
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:11 am

Post actions:
Bob in Wales

Post by Wizard of Oz » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:47 am

.. Bob I wonderd if you saw this response //
Biggest misconception in rugby Wales love beating England more than any other team that is bullshit we would much rather like to beat NZ or South Africa .
Another myth is Welsh people hate the English that is also Bullshit how can you hate a people you have fought two world wars with , we are much closer to English people than anyone thinks , they have been our brothers in battle and we do not hate any nation at all that is a big misconception.
.. just thinking if you agreed ??

WoZ wandering not wondering
Post actions:

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:58 pm

I read your post this morning WoZ, and have been thinking all day, apart from the funeral this afternoon and the school production (I am a governor) of Peter Pan. Anyway, I flew back and have sat down at last.

The bloke you quoted is probably half right. As a rugby fan I want Wales to beat your lot, New Zealand and South Africa. As a Welshman I want to beat England. Now I don’t hate the English at all. Margaret is English of course, as is my second wife. My first wife is, like me, a Welsh Nationalist. Historically the English “working class” went through the same tribulations and horrors as us, but the attitude of “English Rugby” can be quite unpleasant. The fact that they sold their home games to a pay-to-watch channel sums it up as far as I am concerned. They always give the impression of being so bloody superior. It’s not the players or the fans, they are there for the rugby; it is the “Establishment” whatever that is.

We do get very upset however when the word “England” is said when “Britain” or “The UK” is what should be used, and a lot of English people are guilty of doing just that. And that gives an impression of arrogance that I am sure is not always there.
Post actions:
Bob in Wales

Post by tony h » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:34 pm

Bobinwales wrote:We do get very upset however when the word “England” is said when “Britain” or “The UK” is what should be used, and a lot of English people are guilty of doing just that. And that gives an impression of arrogance that I am sure is not always there.
The thing that always puzzles me about this (the terminology) is that, as a child, I remember my grandfather, grandmother and the vicar - a classic Englishman, Scotswoman and Welshman - talking about England to mean the British Empire. It had a friendly feel to it rather like calling people "family". It disappoints me that it is perceived as arrogant. That usage is still in my head as "normal" and I have to correct to current expected usage.
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

End of topic.