containment

Discuss word origins and meanings.

containment

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Fri May 23, 2014 9:15 am

The word 'containment' is probably most commonly encountered in the political / military domain (/s?):
Wikipedia: Containment was a United States policy to prevent the spread of communism abroad.

The State Health Care Cost Containment Commission.

he Office of Cost Containment, generally called OCC, provides standardization of eligibility & recoupment in the following areas: Indigent Defense ...
and in health:
Strategies for Disease Containment - Ethical and Legal ...

The purpose of the Disease Containment Implementation Branch is to implement measures ...
though technical usages are not uncommon:
No matter what size or shape container you have, UltraTech probably has a spill containment product for it. Whether it's smaller items like 5-gallon buckets ...

Husky Portable Containment is a leading manufacturer of a variety of water tanks and accessories for fire fighting and environmental applications.

Since then, CPI has expanded data center cooling to the aisle level, tapping years of custom solutions to now introduce standard Aisle Containment Solutions...

containment (n) 3. A structure or system designed to prevent the accidental release of radioactive materials from a reactor. [AHD]
Google defines the more commonly used senses:
con·tain·ment noun

the action of keeping something harmful under control or within limits. "the containment of the AIDS epidemic"
the action or policy of preventing the expansion of a hostile country or influence. "a policy of containment"
But AHD and RHK Webster's (but not Collins) give the more transparent definition:
containment 1. the act or condition of containing.
How happy would people here be with the use of 'containment' just as the noun corresponding to 'contain'

(eg The preposition 'on' indicates support, while 'to' indicates direction, 'at' location, and 'in' containment' )...?
Post actions:

Re: containment

Post by Erik_Kowal » Fri May 23, 2014 10:16 am

Edwin Ashworth wrote:How happy would people here be with the use of 'containment' just as the noun corresponding to 'contain' [...] ?
Do you mean, for instance, in a sentence like "The containment in a sentence of multiple clauses makes it extra necessary to pay close attention to the syntax, in order to avoid the risk of generating incoherent statements or illogical relationships"?

(If so, I'd say it was OK but awkward-sounding; I would rewrite it as "When a sentence contains multiple clauses, it is extra necessary ...".)

Or did you have a different sort of situation in mind?
Post actions:

Post by Phil White » Fri May 23, 2014 3:45 pm

It would throw me. The first meaning that springs to my mind is in the context of radiation leaks specifically, then other toxic spills, then containment of a conflict.

Although the meaning "the condition of containing" may exist, I have never heard the word used thus.
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Mon May 26, 2014 5:49 pm

There are examples on the internet of the strings

'containment metaphors' (eg He's in a spot of bother; He's knee-deep in trouble)

'containment prepositions' ('in' !) [ Amitabha Mukerjee: Grounded Acquisition of Containment Prepositions].
Post actions:

Post by Phil White » Mon May 26, 2014 5:56 pm

That still doesn't make me "happy", which was your question...
Post actions:
Signature: Phil White
Non sum felix lepus

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Thu May 29, 2014 10:19 am

Yes; I think I agree with your 'containment' policy, Erik and Phil. Perhaps a pity, because Amitabha Mukerjee's name is far more droppable.
Post actions:

End of topic.