Proselytisers

Discuss word origins and meanings.

Proselytisers

Post by Bobinwales » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:03 pm

A word I have never heard of before. Proselytisers

They are people who would convert you to their religion.

It would seem that I am not the only one to whom it meant absolutely nothing, my usual places showed nothing, but COLLINS did know it.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Re: Proselytisers

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:39 am

.. ah yes Bob I can see it would be a word unknown in Wales with all those heathen boyos in the vahlees playing Rugby .. and who has heard of the Church of Wales anyway ?? .. I mean Dewi Sant gave up the ghost, so to speak, and retired to the west coast .. I mean the Patron Saint of Pembrokeshire, vegetarians and poets doesn't have a lot of pull ..

David WoZ
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:37 pm

.. to give Ken a leader I decided, in my new found pensioner status, to do something with all my free time and have a dabble at this word .. it is as I say a dabble >>

proselytism
1. the act of becoming or the condition of being a convert to an opinion, political party, or religious group.
2. an active policy of inviting or persuading converts, especially to a religious position. — proselyte, n. — proselyter, proselytist, n. — proselytize, v. — proselytistic, adj.
See also: Convert
-Ologies & -Isms. Copyright 2008 The Gale Group, Inc
>> A letter to His Grace, the Archbishop of Dublin on proselytism, by an Irish Peer (Dublin: Hodges, Smith & Co., 1865), p. 41. quoted in "The society for Irish church missions to the Roman Catholics: philanthropy or bribery?", 2006 Overseas Ministries Study Center

>> Mission and proselytism: a Middle East perspective.
The MECC study document defines proselytism as "a practice that involves attempts aimed at attracting Christians from a particular Church or religious group, leading to their alienation from their Church of origin." It is treated as an issue of ecumenical malpractice that contravenes biblical understandings of how God relates to humankind, how Christians relate to one another, and respect for the human right to be free from coercion in religious matters.
Proselytism is therefore seen as the opposite of authentic evangelism,
DA Kerr, International Bulletin of Missionary Research, January 1, 1996

>> What Pentecostals think of as legitimate "soul-winning" other Christians often regard as blunt proselytism.
"ANONYMOUS ECUMENISTS"? PENTECOSTALS AND THE STRUGGLE FOR CHRISTIAN IDENTITY. 2000 Journal of Ecumenical Studies

>> Prison proselytism: how your tax dollars pay for fundamentalism behind bars.
A FEW YEARS AGO the state of Iowa decided that the way to rehabilitate prison inmates and prevent them from committing new crimes upon release was to turn them into fundamentalist Christians.
Rob Boston, Americans United for Separation of Church and State, 2006

>> ATHENS * Greece's Catholic church has accused a leader of the Orthodox church of "intolerance and fanaticism" after he sued a Catholic archbishop for supposedly illegal proselytism.
2012 National Catholic Reporter
pros-e-lyte (ˈprɒs əˌlaɪt) n., v. -lyt•ed, -lyt•ing. n.
1. a person who has changed from one opinion, religious belief, sect, or the like to another; convert.
v.i., v.t.
[1325–75; Middle English < Late Latin prosēlytus < Greek (Septuagint) prosḗlytos newcomer, proselyte, n. derivative of Greek prosēly-, s., in n. derivation, of prosérchesthai to come, go to]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010
>> The proselytisers for work should bear firmly in mind that there is work -- and there is work. Better paid jobs tend to have better conditions and be more intrinsically satisfying.
THE RIGHT NOT TO WORK. freelibrary.com, 1999

>> Not surprisingly, many of the authors involved were "Protestant ministers or proselytisers" themselves and, hence, the concerns with which they wrestled spanned the spectrum of contemporary controversy, from "the form of marriage ceremonies to the nature of the indwelling of the Holy Ghost"
Marvelous Protestantism: Monstrous Births in Post-Reformation England By Julie Crawford Baltimore and London: Johns Hopkins University Press, 2005

>> The Government {Egypt} has apparently unleashed a relentless campaign to 'tame' religious television channels, which allegedly overstepped the line.

Represented by the Ministry of Information on the one hand and the Investment Authority on the other, the Government has indicated that it would relent only when the owners of these channels, perceived as touting religious radicalism, expelled agitators and proselytisers, who almost managed to sour the time-honoured relationship between Egypt's Muslims and Christians.
Gov't poised to step up its cyber war. Eltahir House 2006

>> Jorge Sotirios: Neo-liberal proselytisers must dislike the threat of a good example?
TA: They're extremely worried that this model might spread--and it is spreading.
Interview with Tariq Ali by Arena Magazine 2007

>> When religious sanction is given, therefore, to a course of action that brings about one's own, or another's, death, then what might otherwise be unthinkable becomes not only acceptable, but mandatory. From the Neolithic to the present day, martyrs, zealots, proselytisers and crusaders have left a depressing record of death and destruction. Belief in Elysium, in many respects so optimistic a vision, is terrifyingly easy to pervert.
The ideal society: values, visions and variations. Richard Harris, Professor of International Studies, Chukyo University, Japan. 2009.

>> In the video, a lame man says: "Oh, God, please help me follow Jesus." Another part shows Muslims, who recently converted to Christianity, taking a holy bath. The video raised the eyebrows of parliamentarians and students, hundreds of whom protested on Monday outside Kabul University, calling for the alleged proselytisers to be brought to justice.
MPs summon officials over proselytising. Pajhwok Afghan News, 2010.

>> "Copts kidnapped me and tattooed a cross on my wrist!" blared one headline in AI Akhbar, a government daily.
The accompanying article related the trauma of a veiled 19-year-old Muslim girl allegedly abducted and beaten by Christian proselytisers.
www.thefreelibrary.com 2011.

>> Most archaeologists have an image of the proselytisers of views they consider unambiguously false. It is not enough to describe them as amateurs, for in many areas of the world amateur archaeologists have made major contributions to the discipline in fieldwork, interpretation of local sequences and finds, or in popular writing. 'We' are scientific, pseudoarchaeology is not.
Pseudoarchaeology: the concept and its limitations. Robin Derricourt, School of History & Philosophy, University of New South Wales, Sydney. 2012

>> Fleming is also involved with the Blam! collective, those dynamic proselytisers of the vibrant local jazz scene. Coventry Newspapers, Byline: MARTIN LONGLEY, Jul 19, 2013
.. just an entree Bob before Ken lets loose ..

WoZ the converted
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by tony h » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:20 pm

I ever realised that it was such a rare word as it seems to have been a regular visitor to my ears. I first remember hearing it from the lips of Rev Dewi Morgan. An amazing fellow remembered here : http://www.independent.co.uk/news/peopl ... 78675.html
Post actions:
Signature: tony

With the right context almost anything can sound appropriate.

End of topic.