Little black book-update

Discuss word origins and meanings.

little black book

Post by Archived Topic » Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:49 am

i'm interested to know the origin of 'a little black book'. can anyone help?

chris-singapore
Submitted by ( - )
Post actions:
Signature: Topic imported and archived

little black book

Post by Archived Reply » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:03 am

ummm... maybe it is because address books are often black and little?
Reply from Kerri Quinton (Wichita - U.S.A.)
Post actions:
Signature: Reply imported and archived

little black book

Post by Archived Reply » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:17 am

Can't be authoritative, but in the UK the standard issue police note book is small and black. Hence a phrase such as "I've got you in my little black book" to a young miscreant meaning "I've got my eye on you, so watch out". It being a universal police habit to take names and addresses from witnesses, suspicious characters etc.

Nick Blackham UK
Reply from ( - )
Post actions:
Signature: Reply imported and archived

Little black book-update

Post by plwimsett » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:47 pm

The archived versions don't mention that a little black book contains a list of ex-lovers, hence a description of Lindsay Lohan's little black book, which was referenced to. The Drifters had a hit with More Than a Number in My Little Red Book in 1979. Presumably the people in a little red book are more popular (or more passionate?) than the black book.
Post actions:

Re: Little black book-update

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:29 am

I can't comment with any plausible authority on the comparative passion quotients of people whose entries figure respectively in little red and black books. But certainly the ex-lover connotation is being referenced in the film titled Little Black Book, which is also the title of a similarly-themed single by Belinda Carlisle.
Post actions:
Signature: -- Looking up a word? Try OneLook's metadictionary (--> definitions) and reverse dictionary (--> terms based on your definitions)8-- Contribute favourite diary entries, quotations and more here8 -- Find new postings easily with Active Topics8-- Want to research a word? Get essential tips from experienced researcher Ken Greenwald

Post by Wizard of Oz » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:09 am

.. didn't Chairman Mao have names in his Little Red Book ???

WoZ of the culural revolution
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Shelley » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:53 pm

So did Manfred Mann, by way of Burt Bacharach.
Post actions:

End of topic.