CREMAINS

Discuss word origins and meanings.

CREMAINS

Post by trolley » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:43 pm

This is a new one, for me. The other day I overheard someone talking about scattering their father's cremains. It was pretty obvious what cremains were even though I was pretty sure she had cobbled the word together herself. If she hadn't made it up, I only expected to find it in The Urban Dictionary. Not so. Apparently someone invented this hybrid back in the forties and, as usual, I just haven't been paying enough attention.
Post actions:

Re: CREMAINS

Post by zmjezhd » Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:10 pm

I first heard the word cremains used back in 2002, when I had to transport my father-in-law's cremains from Ohio to California. The word was used by the funeral director and on the paperwork we filled out.
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:44 pm

.. we are soooooooooo out of touch here with the new inspeak .. we just use a simple term like my father's ashes .. s'pose that just isn't "modern" enough .. oh well back to the clay tablet ..

Wo Zat the crem
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Post by Bobinwales » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:48 am

I do know the word, but luckily I have had no dealings with that side of life for some time so I don't know if it is in common use.

Sounds like an excuse for a pint and a chat in the pub!
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

End of topic.