mardy / maungy

Discuss word origins and meanings.

mardy / maungy

Post by Bobinwales » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:20 pm

There we were with a two-year-old grandchild fast asleep in the child-seat behind us. "Thank goodness she's dropped off." said Margaret, "She gets quite mardy when she is tired.". "Mardy?", said I. Came the reply, "Yes. You know, maungy".

At this point I felt it safer to let the subject drop with a feeling that as Kira had been grizzling a bit that that was what it meant.

When I got home I looked up MARDY. Collins told me that it is a dialect word meaning (child) spoilt or otherwise irritable.

At least when I looked up MAUNGY it told me that the word (meaning sulky, bad-tempered, or peevish) is a dialect word from West Yorkshire. Margaret is from West Yorkshire, so that was not a surprise at all. However, I still do not know where 'mardy' was born.
Post actions:
Signature: All those years gone to waist!
Bob in Wales

Re: mardy / maungy

Post by trolley » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:49 pm

I found this on the Online Dictionary of Slang at peevish.co.uk

mard Noun. 1. A weak willed person, a softie. [Northern use]
2. A bad mood or temper. [Northern/Midlands use]

mardy Noun. Someone who is easily upset, scared, or moans incessantly. [North and Midlands use]

Adj. In the manner of someone who is a 'mardy', see noun.

The Free Dictionary suggests:
[from marred, past participle of mar]
Post actions:

Post by Erik_Kowal » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:14 am

It can only be a matter of time before some entrepreneur in California, Oregon or Colorado starts to market marijuana under the brand name 'Mardy Grass'.

Actually, 'Mardy Grass' turns out to be a surprisingly common eggcorn on the Web for 'mardi gras'.
Post actions:

Post by Edwin F Ashworth » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:49 am

They already market a lot of eggcorn on the web.
Post actions:

Post by Wizard of Oz » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:46 am

.. can I have mine as soup ?? ..

WoZ Wong
Post actions:
Signature: "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

End of topic.